I heard strats doesn't have much of a sustain with their light alder wood body, would this be a problem playing slash styled solos?
Short answer: You can play a slash solo on a strat.
Long answer: wait for the next (more qualified) person.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
well if you wan't to sound exactely like slash you should go with a les paul but i'm not having any problems playing his solos on a strat, just turn up the gain a little more
"Don't play what's there; play what's NOT there" - Miles Davis
Strats aren't generally warm enough to play Slash style stuff, unless you stumble accross a rare Mahogany bodied one (beautiful guitar if you can find one) and drop a gibson style humbucker in it. The rule of thumb for slash is: Les Paul, Les Paul and more Les Paul.
what that guy said! but basicaly if you want to sound like slash, use what he uses. have you already a strat or were you only thinking of getting one?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
^^ If you want to sound exactly like Slash, but if you prefer strats and aren't looking to become an impersonator then go with what you have. I'm sure you can get a great tone for it out of a strat, regardless of whether it sounds like Slash or not.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
i'll just say yes you can play a slash style solo on a strat.

although they don't have very good sustain unless you pump up the gain
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Jimi Hendrix had some insane sustain and he ued a strat. He also used a Fuzz Face pedal though. If you have a tube amp then you should try one of those.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
strats usually come with single coil pickups, they also have bolt on necks.
slash plays les pauls which have set necks and humbuckers.
honestly, with a marshall half stack i can get pretty close to his sound with my single coil guitar, it's not going to replicate it or anything. It definitely sounds a lot better through my humbucker equipped and neck modified tele.

as long as you aren't trying to achieve his exact tone (which i wouldn't recommend for the sake of originality), you should be fine with a strat.
Strats can have good sustain, but many don't.

IMO, a big part of sustain is the bridge block and the pickup height. Bridge blocks should only be made of steel; but Fender doesn't put these on any guitars. Callaham, Wilkinson and some others make steel bridge blocks.

Pickups should (in most cases) be almost flush with the pickguard. Nearly all strats I see in shops are set up wrong, and have the pickups too high, which will cause the magnets in the pickups to pull on the strings; decreasing sustain.
Quote by mr_hankey
Strats can have good sustain, but many don't.

IMO, a big part of sustain is the bridge block and the pickup height. Bridge blocks should only be made of steel; but Fender doesn't put these on any guitars. Callaham, Wilkinson and some others make steel bridge blocks.

Pickups should (in most cases) be almost flush with the pickguard. Nearly all strats I see in shops are set up wrong, and have the pickups too high, which will cause the magnets in the pickups to pull on the strings; decreasing sustain.

sweet...is that really true?

i never thought of that...gonna have to lower my humbuckers a little and see if increases my paul's sustain.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
A higher pickup will on a humbucker give you more sustain as the two opposing magentic feilds cancel eachother out (one pulls one way, one the other so overall nothing happens). But on strats if the poles get too close to the strings they will pull and since it's just one feild, all in one direction which not only can decrease sustain but send your guitar out of tune.

Lowering the pickups on your LP will just make it quieter.
Quote by tylerishot
Subject-Verb agreement, my friend. I think you should look it up.

pwnt.
My 6th grade English teacher bitched about that all the time.
Yes you can play a Slash solo on a Strat.
I'd say try a Les Paul, a strat, and a fat strat and pick the one you like the most....don't think about what slash uses.
Quote by DispsablePuppet
drill a hole in the side of your guitar, and make sweet love to the beautiful instrument. twice.

I dig the pretty colors in your eyes.
just play around until you find something you like. if you like strats then go with a strat, if you like pauls then go with that. starts usually dont have real good sustain but you can add some of the sustain back just by blocking the trem. i personally like solid bodies but to each his own i guess. just play around til you find a tone you like.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.