Page 1 of 3
I have just got myself a guitar and a teach yourself book. For some reason I feel a bit odd as a 26 year old starting something which can takes years to learn.

I really want to get decent at it and hopefully I can find time to practice every evening.

Anyway how old where you when you started learning to play guitar?

Stu
Well, I think it's never too late to start. I started when I was fourteen.
Amocracy over democracy.
i started quite early, I guess. I started when I was about 8.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
started when i was just about to turn 13...doesn't take long to learn anyway so you shouldnt have any problems.
One year ago when I was 17.
Funstuie do you work alot and have other commitments? Because at that age it must be hard to find the time to learn guitar.
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Im 20 and I only started a couple of months ago, I wish I wudda started earlier as its something I really want to be able to do well. But I'm practicing as much as humanly possible and think Im getting on OK
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
Quote by mattsantos
started when i was just about to turn 13...doesn't take long to learn anyway so you shouldnt have any problems.

what a prat- it takes ****in years to get anywhere near as good as you think you actually are..

But to thread starter, dont sweat it. joe satriani started playin at 14, and many consider him to be the worlds best (not me though). i started playin at 14 too.
Quote by MastaBassist10
"Um, yes waiter, I'll have a wank, please."

Quote by HaKattack

I'm a man. We don't cry. We bottle up emotions and become abusive alcoholics.

Proud Member of Slashism. PM slashs_#1_fan to join
Yeah i started when i was around 13
RED BLOOD HOT SUGAR CHILI SEX PEPPERS MAGIK
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Started at 8 and now i'm 18. its never occured to me that i've been playin' for 10 years... lol
For crying out loud people! Cut the man some slack and let's get some geezers posting here!

I'm 33 and I have no idea how to play. At all. I took a few years of piano lessons as a kid so I'm hoping that reading music will come back to me.

Today I'm going to buy my first guitar.

So there, you've got 7 years on me.
I started at 13, stopped at 15, and picked up again when I was 17. Im now 19. Phew.

I had classical guitar training which DEFINITELY helps in all areas of guitar ... if you can, get some classical training, especially if you are doing acoustic.

And it's never too late to learn, especially a musical instrument, especially the guitar. Stick at it, use those books, enjoy yourself.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
i started when i was 17 and i'm 23 now... see there ARE a few of us twenty-somethings floating around in here.
Well, started when I were 24... that like 2 months ago.

And just to make this thread a bit more interesting.. how long would you guys say that it takes to become a decent guitarist (acoustic) player? My story is that i find and hear alot more than I know how to play (fingerplacing, picking) so maybe I have a ntaural ear for this music stuff, jsut enver really tried it out.

some people say 6 months and you are decent some say 2 years... but I've found out that i can play alot of stuff just within a month..

Maybe im just ramlbing coz of the alcohol talking, but anyway, how long does it take? (obviousy it takes longer the less you practice, but lets count a few hours/day )
Quote by jimtaka
i'm one of the people that'd say 2 years

That's cool.
I know already how to play to the famous (infaomus) campfiresongs. In 2 years (with the speed im learning) I'd be darned good

Althou, I'm one of those persons that believe that NO ONE is never complete, so everything is relative, once again

I won't give up
I'm 23 and just started about 6 months ago. I played a little when I was younger, but I think you find a lot of younger people playing because when your 13 or 14 you don't have much more to do. Now I've got a job and rent and a g/f that I spend alot of time with.
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
i started at 17, im 19 now. although i spent my first few months on bass and didnt start playing guitar until around the time i turned 18.
I've been playing since I was 12, and I'm 16 now, so a total of 4 years.

I don't take it too seriously; it's just a hobby for me. I hobby I love to death and have devoted lots of blood/tears/sweat/etcetc into, but still... just a hobby.

Quote by Dagon
Well, started when I were 24... that like 2 months ago.

And just to make this thread a bit more interesting.. how long would you guys say that it takes to become a decent guitarist (acoustic) player? My story is that i find and hear alot more than I know how to play (fingerplacing, picking) so maybe I have a ntaural ear for this music stuff, jsut enver really tried it out.

some people say 6 months and you are decent some say 2 years... but I've found out that i can play alot of stuff just within a month..

Maybe im just ramlbing coz of the alcohol talking, but anyway, how long does it take? (obviousy it takes longer the less you practice, but lets count a few hours/day )

It depends on how hard you "train", your past musical experiences, etc etc.

I know a kid who's 14 years old, has been playing for about year, and can improv/jam as good or better than I can. My technique, on both classical and electric, is better than his however. He has been playing violin and another instrument or two longer than he's been playing guitar.

I've been playing for 4 years, and I could probably be a lot better if I practiced more. I hardly EVER practice classical, as you can tell from some of my recordings lol
My God, it's full of stars!
Hey man, I started when I was 26, and my guitar sat mostly unplayed for nearly a year because of work, girlfriend, etc. It wasn't until a couple months ago that I really started playing; now I practise every day (well, almost...life gets in the way!) and for a couple hours on days off. I'm playing an acoustic, which might be part of the reason I languished for a while...it's harder to begin with, and I got discouraged.
But, the good part is, once you know acoustic, it's easy to transition to electric.
I'd say it takes a few months to get 'good' (as in knowning the basics well enough to play moderately difficult songs) but it would take the 2 years to become 'proficient.' I mean that by then, you'll probably have most of the tools you'll need to play well in any situation...but then, there's always something new to learn!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
I started when I was about 20. I'm 26 now, and I'm still not very good, but I have fun so whatever...
Not taking any online orders.
12/13ish I think.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
i started playing guitar when i was a fetus. i was shredding so hard i cut my mum open and gave myself a caesarean. what a day...
I started playing when I was 15. I sold off my Tenor Sax to get my first guitar. I'm 20 now.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I started with an acoustic guitar when I was 16 then a year after, i bought my first electric guitar (very cheap guitar)... after a few months I broke my very first electric guitar... afterwards I bought a Yamaha electric guitar (still a beginners guitar) Im 20 now so basically I've been playing for 4 years and Im planning to buy another guitar... I've been thinking of PRS Tremonti Sig
I started when I was 16 (now 17) and I would practice for about 11 hours a day seeing as I had no other real commitments. If you have a lot of time to invest you can get decent pretty quick.
Its how you look and how you feel
I started at 15, this year. I've been playing for about 6 months, only about 4 of those making real progress.
Page 1 of 3