Ok. I have heard this term passed around, but can someone better explain it for me? When do you need one?
Some electric guitar necks need to have the angle corrected as a result of poorly angled neck pockets, incorrect shimming, bridge or saddle changes and other factors.
What type of bridge? I'm planning my Explorer build now, will I need a neck angle? Using 2 piece LP style bridge and tailpiece
Quote by dangdnag
Some electric guitar necks need to have the angle corrected as a result of poorly angled neck pockets, incorrect shimming, bridge or saddle changes and other factors.

Not quite. Neck angles are there on purpose because many bridges are too tall for proper string height without it. It also gets the strings off the body which some of us find a lot more comfortable.

Check the stickied thread. Algee and I posted ways of calculating the correct neck angle.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
This looks like it could be a tad harder than I imagined. Is it possible to fit everything to the guitar (when it's finished). I can just build the guitar and buy a neck, then shave it down to the correct angle right? I won't have to have the neck pocket specifically designed?
Depends on the design of the guitar. It's difficult to put an accurate angle into the neck heel after the neck has been tapered and shaped.
"The most important thing is to learn how to play the guitar before you get 50,000 dollars worth of complicated gear" -Slash

Not a member of any clubs. Don't PM me.
If your building the guitar body then its easy to put an angle on the neck pocket when routing it. Use a template and shim one side up so that it gives the correct angle needed. then route it out.