hey

mostly i just use my fingers for playing, but recently i've been experimenting with using a pick...

the problem is, i cant get much speed out of it...

are there any tricks, or is it just practice??

btw, do u guys use mostly all downstrokes or alternate between up and down??
I'm the opposite of you. I can play with a pick like crazy for the punk stuff I play and then when I try and use fingers I suck. Don't know what to tell you, just practice.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Always alternate pick, downup/down/up. It makes everything so much faster.
alternate picking is really the only reason i ever use a pick over fingers.
Praaaaaaaactice. You can try trem./alternate picking, that's what i do for our really fast songs in my band and since i can't quite get the 3 finger gallop yet i'm forced to use a pick.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
^He asked how to get better with his pick. He did not, however, ask whether he should use a pick or his fingers. If you aren't helping, then you're part of the problem.
well bumper...put it this way...i say dont use the ****ing pick...use your fingers that way you dont need to figure out how to pick

PROBLEM SOLVED DIRT BAG!!!
^How about you stop being a complete tool and accept that there are other ways to play bass than with your fingers. I'm not going to report you, because I don't feel it's necessary to try and get you banned. I'd rather just let everyone else on the bass forum see what a complete idiot you are. You do realize that 90% of this bass forum has used a pick at one time or another, don't you? Some of us still use one regularly. It provides other tonal aspects, and opens new dimensions to your playing. If you refuse to learn another technique, well then that shows all of us alot about your bass playing. From now on, if you don't have anything productive to say, then shut your ****ing mouth.
there are hundreds of thousands of other forums i could subscribe to were i to be booted from here. giving into to my "complete idiot" attitude really shows how smart you are. in regards to my bass playing...lets see... i graduated from Berkley with a major in bass...went on to grad school continuing bass...and now privately instruct bass to a number of poor innercity kids who want to learn but dont have the money...go on and insult...but you're the one who's a tool
^Honestly, I think you're full of bull****. Until I see a copy of your degree, I'll still think that. Maybe even After I've seen it. I'm sure a Berkley grad would know better than to say, "Just don't use one so then you won't have to learn how, LoLzOrZ!!!one!1!" All I'm saying is that you need to reply productively to a question, rather than trying to force your beliefs and opinions about picks on him.
"rather than trying to force your beliefs and opinions about picks on him"

awww isnt that cute...tool
Quote by Bumper
^Honestly, I think you're full of bull****. Until I see a copy of your degree, I'll still think that. Maybe even After I've seen it. I'm sure a Berkley grad would know better than to say, "Just don't use one so then you won't have to learn how, LoLzOrZ!!!one!1!" All I'm saying is that you need to reply productively to a question, rather than trying to force your beliefs and opinions about picks on him.

Exactly. I know tons of great bassists who use a pick and I always will. It's just the best sounds for the style and it's faster for me.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Quote by stratomaster03

It's ok, I'm not going to internet-fight you. I've got that thing called self-esteem. It prevents me from acting like a complete moron on an internet forum.
honestly, stratomaster, if you were a good bassist, you'd understand that using a pick is an equally viable method of playing.... Billy Sheehan says so and he's better than you'll ever be. period.

anyways, with picking, just keep practicing. Personally, I prefer using 3 fingers for the gallop style riff, cos it keeps me in better time, IMO, but I still sometimes use a pick for them if I bite my fingers... which I do, a lot.
alternate picking (down/up) will help you a ton...just keep practicing, and you'll be able to notice the difference
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
Yeah, theres not really tricks, just practice with it. Theres no real technique either, just pick however you feel is omfortable or whatever works the best. I usually use downstrokes for slow stuff, but tremelo picking is t3h pwn for faster music. All i can say is practice, practice, practice. And congrats on using a pick, I think a good bassist should be versatile in his style of playing *cough*stratomaster*cough*
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Quote by stratomaster03

Alright i understand why you are being a total dick...
It ain't your fault that you dont accept picking because you were raised being fingered up your arse.

to the thread starter "PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT" enough said.
Quote by stratomaster03
well bumper...put it this way...i say dont use the ****ing pick...use your fingers that way you dont need to figure out how to pick

how about you go shove your elitist views up your ass.

heh, im all for getting a warning for that, its worth it.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
yes, fingers are way more fun, but sometimes when im recording by myself i use a pick, but when im jamming with the band i always use fingers, it fits the style better
I've began to get quite good with a pick now. I mean, i rarely use it on my bass, i practice on my guitar... but there are some songs where i need that hard attack so i use my pick. i practce with my metronome, set it to a low tempo and play 16ths to it. you'll get better in days, then even better in weeks, then in months you'll be a trem picking mother****er shamone!
practice, but I personaly play with my fingernail to get a pick sort of sound, but I use a pick if I bite my nails, A nasty habit.
Quote by stratomaster03

Don't make me bust a cap in yo ass, nigga'.

Anyways, just keep alternate picking, your wrist will get really loose after a while, and if will be easy to pick fast.
Practice along with music or a metronome so you stick to timing strictly. Practice is the only way... make sure you try loads of different picks to get one that suits you.
Quote by stratomaster03
there are hundreds of thousands of other forums i could subscribe to were i to be booted from here. giving into to my "complete idiot" attitude really shows how smart you are. in regards to my bass playing...lets see... i graduated from Berkley with a major in bass...went on to grad school continuing bass...and now privately instruct bass to a number of poor innercity kids who want to learn but dont have the money...go on and insult...but you're the one who's a tool

hahaha, yeah right i doubt a berkley grad, would type like that, i was gunna report em too, but this is hilraious, i hate people like you, someone ask's a question a simple question, people like bumper be patient and answer the question, and you come in and ruin the whole thing......
Last edited by BassSurfer at Jun 23, 2006,
Quote by stratomaster03

Its "Berklee" and you cannot just major in just "bass". If you want a little more clarification, ask my dad
^I forgot your dad went there. Well...thanks everyone for completely dominating that douchebags rear end.
Quote by stratomaster03

aww warned dirt bag. and I should warn you for what you said after but Im gonna limit you to one warning in between times I post.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^True. In other news, anyone can also play guitar, mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, shamisen, bagpipe, koto, flute, and countless other instruments. They just have to learn how.