how much pressure can you put on a whammy bar before it pulls the bridge off the guitar?

...namely an ibanez rg100 (if anyone knows)
Last edited by StJimmy88 at Jun 23, 2006,
I have no clue. I'm sure things like sitting on it aren't very good for your guitar's health, though.
hahaha...wow, for some reason that was really funny...besides that my cousin said that he saw one once where you could bend it all the way to the guitars body. but i dont think mine could do that unless they are all meant to do that (which i doubt) and i just didnt know.
If you check out Cunning Stunts DVD by Metallica, At the end of Creeping Death Kirk Hammett does a very violent divebomb which definately involves pushing the bar into the guitar several times, as for the RG100, how much pressure do you really need to put on it?
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
well, to add onto this, how much pressure could you put towards a strat whammy?

i've tried to touch several times in the act of intense playing, but i've always got nervous im gonna mess up the bridge
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
same here, and a guitar teacher once had a locking nut and stuff on his Fender strat...so he could bend it right down to the body...but he told me if i did that it would break something...but that teacher sucked at teaching..so..i dont know whether i should belieive him or not...i just bend it enough to make the string get loose...like..my guess is 3-5 cms...maybe a little more, maybe a little less
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

my frend has a cheap yamaha that he doesnt care about and he bends it all the way down 2 the body all the time and nothing happens to it
Well on my Ibanez SA260FM which doesn't have a locking trem, I usually just bend it a little down like the start of a dive, but not too far...just don't get too aggresive with it and it should be fine
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Well...if anyone has ever seen SRV Live at El Macambo...you can pick a strat up by the whammy bar...as well as...bend the F***ing neck, throw it on the ground, and literally beat the s*** out of it
wow i have always bent the trem down to the bodys >.>

im must be doing sometin wrong
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
Quote by Maitinin

Check out how Steve Vai here uses his whammy bar, hehe:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg&search=tender%20surrender

haha i love doing that!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
ok well u dont need to bend it down to the body u just bend it so u get enough wammy effect im not expert but im sure that its not very healthy for your guitar
Yeah, on my Ibanez SA I bend it to the body all the time, nothin bad ever happens.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Quote by Maitinin
No one has answered yet, really so I'll do:
On a classic strat you can bend the whammy bar down to the body without ruining anything, and you can bend it up 'till your strings break, it's the same with Ibanezes, don't be over-causious, it's build for bending!

Check out how Steve Vai here uses his whammy bar, hehe:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1VjwciFLAg&search=tender%20surrender

Is it me or does that sound exactly like villanova junction by Jimi hendrix?
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by Floyd1122
Yeah, on my Ibanez SA I bend it to the body all the time, nothin bad ever happens.

Does yours have a SAT 30 bridge or a SAT Pro bridge?
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve

Dunlop Crybaby

Look it is fine, I have this junk vintage trem which is made of cheap metal and I made it floating, I constantly push it all the way to the body and I ALWAYS lift the guitar with the whammy bar (Herman Li) and my guitar still lives.
yea i have a strat knockoff a harmony hence my name but it is a great guitar handles as well as any strat but i always touch the body with the whammy bar
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
well on my squire I press it all the way down the the pickguard, its a cheap guitar and I don't care about it, but it handles the stress fine, nothing ever breaks. I do violent Joe Satriani kind of whammy stuff on it too.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
well i don't have much experience... almost none... with trem systems, but if your dropping with the whammy bar, you should be able to loose the strings until theyre slack. The exception is when you cant go any farther.
If your going up with the whammy bar, it should be a gut instinct on when to stop. if you cant pull it up anymore, then you cant. depends on the guitar, but you could probably get like 4 half steps of bend before it gets too hard.
of course, i have no experience, only played 3 guitars with floyd-roses. havent played and edges (ibanez) and i dont have a guitar with a whammy that would bring the strings to slack.
very old thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yah i think he would of found his answer over the past 2 or 3 years
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg