So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but I need to get a good overdrive or distortion pedal to drive it hard, the amp's gain channel is really for heavy blues/ lighter classic rock.

First of all, is there anything I can get new for less than $600 that would seriously blow this thing out of the water? Cause I'll get it.

Pedals: I tried it in the shop with an MT-2 and I liked the sound, but then again I'm used to that sound because my friend plays an MT-2 all the time. I probably can't drop $150 + on a really good shop-made pedal like a Fulltone or Red Threat, so I guess I'm looking on the cheaper end of things? I've had Maxon OD-9 and OD-808 recommended.

Any suggestions?
Killing... Raping... Bridge Burning... Forsaken...
-Aint Life Grand
ughh, my friend has one of those amps and even with a boss metal-zone he couldn't get enough distortion...at least i didn't think so.
Quote by NinjaTrainer
ughh, my friend has one of those amps and even with a boss metal-zone he couldn't get enough distortion...at least i didn't think so.

God help us.

How could you possibly need that much gain?!?! holy hell!!! you could run a mt-2 into a shoebox and get so much distortion you could fry your brain. Go for a ibanez tubescreamer infront of the dirty channel!
what about a Visual Sound Route 66. It can be cheap used
Killing... Raping... Bridge Burning... Forsaken...
-Aint Life Grand
tubescreamer on the drive channel would be an idea ^^^

i have a hot rod deluxe, and i use a boss ds-1 and it works fine.

then again im running it through a ESP with EMG 81's. heh.
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

Get an overdrive like a Tubescreamer or a blues driver.

Or you could get 2 pedals in one (like the Visual Sounds one) or just get 2 overdrives thru the clean channel, works for me on my Blues Jr.

What kind of sounds are you looking for?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If you want to get some heavier metal tones with an overdrive boost, the Peavey Classic 30 is said to blow the HRD out of the water on its drive channel.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD