Page 1 of 4
Seeing as Summer has started as of today for me and I've waited 3 weeks to start this (exams) I'll get right to it. Firstly, this is my second customised guitar but this is more further back seeing as it's a Pawn Shop guitar.

Here's my first one, just a Strat copy sunburst into a blue burst:

Anyway, back to the Flying V. It is a Dean brand and I have taken everything moveable off it, strings, pots, etc. etc. and now I only have the pickups and electronics left:

I plan to paint a bullseye design on it, and any other ideas that you have I'll take into consideration. So, here I go...

How will I remove these electronics?
I have a soldering iron, which I'll use a wet sponge to hold the molten solder.

Anyone know how to woodfill exactly?
I'll just pop into B&Q for a tube of it but I need to know what else I'll need.

There's also a black wire which I have no idea where it goes...

Keep in touch.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Last edited by IndieLee at Jun 23, 2006,
Black wire probly goes to the ferruls (???) for grounding. (im not 100% sure)
To remove the eletronics just heat up the joints of solder and pull them apart. And as for wood filling if its just dings. Try and get auto body filler from a car acessories shop bung it over the ding, wait till its hard than sand it flat, failing that use wood filler.

Good luck
Quote by slashnmash
Black wire probly goes to the ferruls (???) for grounding. (im not 100% sure)
To remove the eletronics just heat up the joints of solder and pull them apart. And as for wood filling if its just dings. Try and get auto body filler from a car acessories shop bung it over the ding, wait till its hard than sand it flat, failing that use wood filler.

Good luck

Right, I'm gonna solder 'em off now and sand it.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Go solder man! If you know anything about how it all works I woudl suggest you modify the controlls? <_<

Also, be craefull sanding! And don't use a power sander if you haven't sanded before. If you wana see what ahppens when you do that, go see my crappy build.. <_<
Quote by Fast_Bear
Go solder man! If you know anything about how it all works I woudl suggest you modify the controlls? <_<

Also, be craefull sanding! And don't use a power sander if you haven't sanded before. If you wana see what ahppens when you do that, go see my crappy build.. <_<

I have all the electronics off, and there's already 500K pots in there.

Right, all electronics off. Next step, sanding.. with an empty stomach.

----

Should I buy a new neck? I doubt I'll find one that'll suit this guitar, and the new I have now is a bit weird.

I can't do anything to it, and I want to change the headstock but it's a bit different in that it has a "Dean" logo at the very top in albalone which I may run into trouble with in sanding and the ding at the neck makes me. Can I buy a 24f and put it on this body? This is a 22fret neck.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Last edited by IndieLee at Jun 23, 2006,
At this rate, I have a looooonnnnnng way to go... I've spent about 45 minutes sanding or so and I only reached the wood on a tiny patch on the front.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
You can remove the Dean logo by just taking out a triangle piece of wood it seems to fit on then get a same-thickness piece, glue, and sand and it should be good.

Just a thought.
I'm totally lost in that, lol...

Also it's 220grit sandpaper, isn't it? I'm using P180 and it's taking AGES!
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
I'm talking about the "Dean" logo with the wings at the very tip, not the swirly text. But I think I'll just sand it down and get rid of it all with a dremel and custom shape the headstock.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Ah, right. Well, I'm gonna go out and get some supplies and hopefully I'll have a picture by this afternoon (GMT)

Do they have certain lengths? Because I measured the neck scale to be roughly 24.4 inches.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Last edited by IndieLee at Jun 24, 2006,
Quote by SuperAnalytical

Thats waaay more work then just sanding it of. And hes going to have a hard time making it invisible.
Can I just use a dremel and cut that tiny bit off then smooth it out as a curve?
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Right! Progress! I'm sittin' here with a mask over my mouth and I feel extremely. Don't ask.

Anyway: Pictures...

Took me a total of 40 minutes to sand the front.

White marks came out on the wood but after a few coats of primer it'll go away. Gonna sand the back and sand parts of the corners and woodfill them when I get the chance.

Pickups now... The pickups are crap on it and I'm lookin' at some nice Nailbombs, or Miracle Man... Though, anything good for metal/solos which is cheaper would be a fair call. So any suggestions would be nice, please.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
What kind of finish are u guna have? May I suggest, just because that wood has a rather nice grain you could oil it, then do a clear over it. Something I woudl think about thats all

Looks good tho man
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
You get a fuller sound out of EMG actives in my opinion. But they need batteries.. <_<

What kinda tone? Deep? High? I might not know THAT much about pickups, but I know what guitar controlls you can use to get closer to that sound!
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Nice sanding job. Look at Seymour Duncans. I like them more than EMGs but EMGs are always good for metal type stuff so they could always work.

good luck.
I might go for EMGs because I find pickups really complicated. And EMGs you just have a battery and it's the usual passive or 81/85 pickups.
Quote by lespaulmarshall
What kind of finish are u guna have? May I suggest, just because that wood has a rather nice grain you could oil it, then do a clear over it. Something I woudl think about thats all

Looks good tho man

I was hoping to put a bullseye on it, cream and black. But if I use oil would that not mess up around the white patched bits?
Quote by Fast_Bear
You get a fuller sound out of EMG actives in my opinion. But they need batteries.. <_<

What kinda tone? Deep? High? I might not know THAT much about pickups, but I know what guitar controlls you can use to get closer to that sound!
When I play at high volume you can always hear my fingers on the strings (this isn't the sound when I pick them) but I guess that's just my crap playing. If y'know Corey from Trivium and you hear his solo's and stuff I'd like to have pickups which sound like those and the overall sound you hear from them as a band.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
I'll keep it simple maybe and go with EMGs or two Nailbombs.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Hmm maybe.. But all I am really saying is get soem kinda humbucker and a single coil for that sound..
It really depends on what kinda pickups you get. Like 1 EMG humbucker and 1 EMG single coil with vintage mounting plate?
Not gonna have a plate, and I don't know about this "coil splitting" (Complete Newbie). But I want two HBs anyway
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
I seriously advise you to get new pots; because the ones you have are crap (mini-pots are always crap). When it comes to pots; the bigger the better.
Quote by mr_hankey
I seriously advise you to get new pots; because the ones you have are crap (mini-pots are always crap). When it comes to pots; the bigger the better.

Got a link?

These are 500K
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Things are going smoothly.. And since I can't make a poll, I guess I'll have to point it out fairly bigger.

DECISION TIME:

WHAT NECK ON MY V:

PADDLE
JACKSON
WARMOTH

The Paddle headstock will be sent to a wood shop to get my old one replicated with a few touches, the reason being I want a 24 fret neck and this is dinged up.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
id go with the jackson style head stock....pure aesthetics though.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Will the neck fit in the pocket? The pocket looks a little square for a strat heel, but a tele heel might work.

And I say go with reverse KWS
definately go with the Bare Knuckle Nailbombs as the pickups
and for the neck, I'd suggest Jackson
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

the neck pocket does look quite stratish so i would vote custom warmoth, but make sure you check sizes. If you can get standard strat neck dont hesitate to try it on. Also 22 to 24 frets inst as easy as it sounds.

EDIT: yer try your suburst bulid neck
Quote by Will_Minus
Will the neck fit in the pocket? The pocket looks a little square for a strat heel, but a tele heel might work.

And I say go with reverse KWS

Yup. I checked all this and those three fit. It is a Tele heel and Warmoth do necks which fit. I measured everything.

I believe Jackson is winning.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Quote by Kanthras
Quote by IndieLee

I was hoping to put a bullseye on it, cream and black. But if I use oil would that not mess up around the white patched bits?

What white bits are u talking bout

The more I look at the sanded body the more I want it to be oiled
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Page 1 of 4