right ok so i have been learning solo's to make myself a better solo-er (???)

i have done the more melodic stuff and im now trying a shredding like solo, like light to flies, trivium.

i can play it at 55% its regular tempo. not very good i know, i can struggle 60%, its my picking hand that is the problem. i cant pick the notes fast enough. i tried normal picking but its not fast enough, i cant sweep and i tried turning the plec for a tremelo picking sort of thing. BUT on the first 3 strings i cant tremelo pick accurately enough they are too thin.

as you are all beautiful people who have helped me in the past, i ask YOU, how do i do this solo?
its pretty thick, the pic isnt flopping about wen i do it, its about 2mm or something maybe more i aint sure i dont do mm lol.
I serously hope u are up AND down picking. Other than that, practice, check my sig for more tips
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
haha ur sig is wise but im already there, although the girlfriend can sort me out better than my hand ever could

yes i am up and down picking the point is i need to get faster, is it just practise?
Practice your economic picking - In other words, find the least amount of distance to move your wrist. If you hit a note on the 3rd string and need to hit a note on the 2nd string next, pluck the 2nd string note upwards instead of downwards (it exihbits the least amount of wrist movement).

Do you anchor your pinky on the body of the guitar? If you do, it will slow you down as it restricts wrist movement - you are using your wrist to move your hand, right?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
yes i am using my wrist haha

thats really helpfull thanks i jus tried one of my thinner picks it was abit easier but i cant play with it for entire songs im in a pickle.

i dont anchor my pinky, never understood why people do it to be honest, mustaine does it haha.

thanks dude i will try those excersises n stuff. thank you fine people
Put the solo to metronome, gradually work your way up. John Petrucci also had a great segment about bettering your economic picking in his instructional video, check that out.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Mike1109
Put the solo to metronome, gradually work your way up. John Petrucci also had a great segment about bettering your economic picking in his instructional video, check that out.

link me please?
A thick pick is fine and generally preferred for fast picking. It's not the pick that's
your problem.

For sure it's your technique.

There's 2 ways to go about it. You can try a million different exercises and
haphazardly try picking faster with whatever technique you come up with.
Or, you can get the Guitar Principles material, get shown the fundamental picking
technique you need to have, how to practice it and how to focus your attention
on practicing it.

Either way is going to be a bunch of work. But, the first way is low probability
of success and the second way is high probability.
Quote by Jdwannabe

i dont anchor my pinky, never understood why people do it to be honest, mustaine does it haha.

For some it keeps their wrist more stable and the movements more precise. On the down side, it restricts your wrist movement and slows you down a bit.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Are you dipping the pick too much. You are only meant to use the tip so yea that may be the problem.