Page 1 of 2
Anyways, I'm planning on buying a guitar from my local guitar shop. They are the biggest music store in my province and they unfortunately charge over the prices of popular online stores like MusiciansFriend and Music123. Anyways if I go in there and say the price is $50-100 more than it should be. What do you think I can do? Haggle it down $50 with a case and set-up? Just wondering what you guys think about this.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
go in with a MF catalog and show them. Say you'll buy there unless they can match the price.
Well that's all fine, but I live in Canada, so getting a guitar shipped from the US is not going to be very cheap.

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
obviously its gona be cheaper from an online store. So just work out how much it would be from the online merchant an try to haggle him to something close to that amount. At least if you buy from a local store, they may be willing to fix your guitar for cheaper etc in the future. but they may not so ask :p what guitar you looking at mannn?
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Show them what you can buy for somewhere else, but don't let them know that you can't buy from the other shop 'coz of shipping, if they ask, say its free shipping from them.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
just order it from Musician's Friend

they have good services

that's what I would do
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
Quote by sumfears
just order it from Musician's Friend

they have good services

that's what I would do

It would cost more to get it shipped from Musician's Friend, not to mention 2-4 weeks waiting.

I'm looking at the Ibanez RG350DX to the guy who asked

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
i managed to haggle them down like 30 bucks and a case on my fender...i brought a buddy with me, we acted interested, played for a bit, acted really undecided when he mentioend the price then i asked my buddy 'hey i thought they gave u a price break on ur guitar?' and he replied 'ya, this other guy gave me 50$ off' just a line like that, worked for me...i dunno.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
my mate bought a music man the other day actually :p the shop showed him a Chart showing how much they could sell it for whilst still making a profit gave him loads off the shelf price. Ill let you borrow this friend if you want D
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Don't tell them where you can get it cheaper, just say you can get it substantially cheaper elsewhere. Works for me when i'm trying to haggle stuff down. More than likely they'll lower the price and with a bit more talking and being nice, etc you should get a hard case thrown in.

It also helps if you're a good guitarist and demonstrate that you mean business before you talk to the guy.
My dad could probably haggle 90% off if it is not a major retailer.
Listen to Black Sabbath
Just don't sexually assault him or my mom will be pissed.
Listen to Black Sabbath
Yea, shop owners tend to take advantage of kids, I usually just give my dad the money and then have him buy it, then he'll be like "oh, do we get a case with this? how bout a stand? some wires?" and they just hand it over for free.
I suck at negotiations. I get mad when they won't budge and I cuss em out and leave. Then I slink back in a few months later because I need some strings and I happen to be close to the store and the guy remembers me and it's a bad scene. Then I have to get someone in the parking lot to buy me some strings like a kid at the beer store. (shameful)
"It's easier to believe than it is to think. Hence we have far more believers than thinkers."-?
"Ive been busted, discusted and couldn't be trusted"-Woody Guthrie
Gibson S1 Marauder
Epi LP Classic Quilt Top
Epi LP Standard Plus Flame Top
^

I'm quite alright at haggling, I managed to get a discount off a few pedals because I simply asked for a discount, worked so well too...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i always haggle with local shops. i just tell them how much cheaper **** is in the states and do a half turn for the door and mutter something about taking a road trip and they are all over me to stay.
Too much haggling is when they refuse to sell it to you. Anything less is fine.

Oh, and for the record, don't get that guitar.
When I was ordering my Traynor YCV40, I was a bit concerned about buying online, so I decided to see if I could get this little local music shop near my town to match the price. I called them and asked them if they had the amp, and they said yes. So I told them how much I was looking at it for online, and they immediately said they would match the price so I would buy it from them instead. I think the only reason they did that was because they weren't very popular and not many people buy from them, so they needed the money.

But anyway, yeah just tell them how much you see it for online and if they don't match the price tell them you'll just buy it from the internet instead. If they don't care and just let you walk out, then chances are you won't be able to get them to change their mind.
I wouldn't worry about ordering from musicians friend if you are from Canada...the canadian dollar is so strong right now (over 90 cents US) that to buy from the US is pretty much not going to cost you anymore when you convert the currency...all you will pay is duty (7%) and PST (7%)...so that is the same as buying in Canada 7% GST + 7% PST.

I recently went into a guitar store here in Vancouver to try a schecter hellraiser...they didn't have any in stock but said they could order one in for $1100!!!! I almost laughed right in his face...but didn't...I just said thanks and left...this weekend I am driving down to Seattle (2hr drive) to look at the hellraisers...Guitar center is selling them for $649...I will save about $500 buying it in the US...what a joke...the canadain retaillers really have to stop marking **** up so much.
I know how you feel man. Most stores in Canada, especially in ontario, are basically getting away with murder.

I take it you're thinking of getting it from Long and McQuade. They're soo damn overpriced it hurts. Standard strats are like $525 and up + tax, I saw a Jimmy Vaughn tex-mex strat for $750 + tax, Gibson LP studios are $1500 and up + tax, faded SG's are like $900 + tax, but I never really check out Ibanez anymore cause I've never liked the feel of them when I did try them.

EDIT: ^ The exchange rate is not the problem with buying from the US when you live in Canada and you can't or don't want to cross the border. Its the shipping charges and the duties, these things alone can jack your price tag up $80 or more.
Hai UG!
Last edited by L_Z_Nut at Jun 23, 2006,
[EDIT: ^ The exchange rate is not the problem when you buy from the US, when you live in Canada. Its the shipping charges and the duties, these things alone can jack your price tag up $80 or more.

Yes I agree...shipping and duty is really the only thing you have to worry about when ordering from the US...in my case I can drive to seattle so there is no shipping...and duty is only 7% so it is just like paying GST in canada...I think if the price difference is big enough it makes more sense to order from the states.
Lucky bastard LOL. I wish I could drive to the states to get a guitar, but I can't unless I want to drive a total of 8hrs+ there a back. And I would probably go crazy with road rage half way back.... I'm not a very calm driver, and I hate driving for a long period of time.
Hai UG!
Quote by LJTPerry
My dad could probably haggle 90% off if it is not a major retailer.

Is your dad Jewish or Italian? Mine is the same way (he's Jewish, by the way).
the hard tail US strat i want is $950 at guitar center. i have yet to try to haggle with the local shops before making the trip to the states. however i wouldn't even think about claiming it when i cross the border back into canada. i already pay tax to buy it in the united states, i'm not going to pay my country for a sale that doesn't even belong to them. unless you plan on leaving the tags on your guitar they can't prove you didn't bring it over to the US with you on your way down.
Tell them that you can find it much cheaper online. They'll almost always match the price. Then, you can also just say "Match their price and throw in a hardcase for it and I'll do my shopping through you instead of online." If it's a guy on commission, you'll get that deal in a heartbeat. Once he agrees, take down his name and stuff so that you can "Buy from him again."
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by selloutpunx
the hard tail US strat i want is $950 at guitar center. i have yet to try to haggle with the local shops before making the trip to the states. however i wouldn't even think about claiming it when i cross the border back into canada. i already pay tax to buy it in the united states, i'm not going to pay my country for a sale that doesn't even belong to them. unless you plan on leaving the tags on your guitar they can't prove you didn't bring it over to the US with you on your way down.

Yeah you can also do that. I mean they can't really prove that you bought the guitar while you were in the US. But if something weird occurs and you get cought you could probably get in some trouble.
Hai UG!
Quote by selloutpunx

Ya, I was thinking of taking an old guitar case down to put it in...but I just don't have the stones for it lol...even paying the duty and pst I will still save 4 or 5 hundred bucks...I just don't want to sit there for an hour or more denying I just bought this brand new guitar in the US...I can afford the duty and tax so I will pay it...
Quote by Zofar

DAMN that store is like 100 meters from my school

anyways, Id just tell them anonymously that u saw it online for so and so, and i'll buy it from there unless you match, and just be friendly, say TO HIM u'd rather buy it from him, because of convenience. He'll Understand and not want to lose business
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Well yesterday at Guitar Center I gave the guy a 20% off coupon which said it was only valid in California even though I live in Florida. He took it maybe because I was buying an expensive guitar (PRS Custom 24 Ten-Top 20th Anniversary), but he took it and that gave me $560 off! Freaking $560 off!
dude, just haggle as much as possible! I MEAN SERIOUS HAGGLING HERE. you gotta act like you can get such a better deal, i mean you gotta be like one of those kids whos always like "well my dad's a lawyer" you gotta be like that constantly. but make sure you dont say anything that would get you frowned upon or kicked out. if you cannot budge them, dont get all pissed and cuss them out like that other guy did, just accept the fact that you cant get the guitar for cheaper anywhere else, and say something like "well can i at least like get a hardcase thrown in or a stand or somethin? cuz i cant see just buying this thing at such a high price." if they dont budge at all, just make a half turn for the door like the other guy said. if they still arent going to ask you to come back, just walk up to the guy, say " well,,, i suppos- SUCKER PUNCH!" and of course, sucker punch him right in the gut, (not the face, face will just get him mad and he wont keel over like you will if you are punched in the gut) and grab the guitar and run your ass out of there and down the street, into a back alley, and keep going into more back alleys so they cant find you, and just keep moving steadily away from the place as fast as you can without being spotted, but there probably wont be any cops around or anything (its canada) so you can proly just book it as long as you get into an alley quick enough so he cant just follow you. WARNING! dont do this if the store has any cameras! or if it is heavily crowded with witnesses! or if they have your name from some warranty on another product! or if you are fat and cant run at all! or if you wear really baggy pants and wont be able to run fast enough with a guitar in your hand whilst trying to pull them up! WARNING! the previous suggestion IS ILLEGAL! DO IT! IT ALWAYS WORKS!

we cant let these 'guitar walmarts' take over and charge too much! we gotta fight the machine man! stealing is the only way we can take them down a peg! by stating that we dont need to pay their outrageous prices! we can steal all we will ever need, and be musically self-sufficient!

__--__fight the power__--__
Also, any kind of scratch can be $10-$20 off. it should go like this:

You: "I really like this guitar, but its just tad too expensive, can we take some off"
Sales guy: "Why should I take any off?"
Y: "Well, look at this scratch, man, your charging me $xxx for something with a scratch like this?"
SG: "Well, maybe"
Y: [proceed to list various defects, no matter the size, but be careful not to go to far"
Y: "I still think you should take some off, I mean, I could get this $100 less somewhere else, why don't I go to them?"
That usually gets them. After that, I don't know, that line works about 90% of the time, they aren't stupid enough to ask "Yeah, name a place where you could get it for that price?", although I've met some pretty stupid sales guys when I go with friends to help them with choosing and haggling.
Well for me I dont go to my SamAsh too much but I do buy stuff and I told the guy I bought over $400 few weeks ago and he gave me some discount just like that but seriously I could've gotten more by saying theres little scratch at where you would strum with pick usually but I didnt see it that well that time because the shop was gna close and I was sure which guitar to pick beforehand sigh :\
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones
I got $50 my A&L acoustic because I payed full price for my Godin. At another store because we're cool to the guy and baseball fans I don't usually have to pay much for anything being done for my guitar. Hell, he got my dad a Gibson P90 for $50.
Use your skills of social psych

"Hello, hmm, this fender seems a bit too expensive.."
"Well right now it is $250, that's the fairest retail price you can get"
*RAPES!*
*alright, $100 with case"
"What about a stand and some wires"
"here are you are"
"and a few pedals"
"nope"
*RAPES AGAIN!*
"ok, here are some pedals and a tuner"
"thanks"

There yougo
Quote by MastaBassist10
Is your dad Jewish or Italian? Mine is the same way (he's Jewish, by the way).

His mother is Jewish. :P
Listen to Black Sabbath
Page 1 of 2