i was just thinking the other day, is there really the "greatest guitar player ever"? it seems that with everyone i ask, they say a different thing. in my opinion, i think alexi laiho, yngwie malmsteen, and jade puget are some of the greatest guitarists ever, but that may be because i like that kind of music, while other classic rock and old metal fans feel that jimi hendrix, zakk wylde, and tony iommi are some of the greatest ever. in my opinion, i didn't think jimi hendrix was an incredible guitarist. sure, he had famous solos that everyone loved, but i didn't like them too much, because i'm more modern than hendrix. anyone else think that "the greatest guitar ever" is a matter of fact or opinion?
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
i think its more of an opinion. if you ask some who likes classic rock more than metal like you said. they are going to have a different answer, because of who influences him/her.
yeah, but it seems that there should be a greatest guitarist ever, but it seems there shouldn't be, too, which is the confusing thing to me.
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
There are different things which make a guitarist great, and people argue which is the most important.

If it's style and creativity, it has to be Hendrix, cos he was waaaaay ahead of his time. You can listen to stuff recorded in 1967 and it sounds so modern.

If it's about technique, it's probably Steve Vai, cos he is always in perfect control of the instrument.

If it's about raw emotion, there are many candidates, from Clapton to Wylde.

It's hard to decide. Everyone's good in their own way.
Obviously its all opinion. Hendrix wasnt great because he played so fast (because he didn't play particularly fast). He was great because he revolutionized the wah and studio techniques and he wrote amazing songs. He had the feel for theory, he didnt have to scales, he could just jam. He was an extremley talented guitarist and he didnt have to play at 1000 bpm to prove it.
^^was there ever one that had all of those apply to them?
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
um in my opinion steve vai or jimmy page are the greatest

but its all opinioin and preference. hendrix was not the greatest ever but he was probably the most revolutionary. see like malmsteen was amazing and was probably the most technical but i dont enjoy his music as much because its just a bunch of scales and no feeling, its also just not my style of playing
Also take into consideration live or studio. Some people just flat out suck live.
It's totally opinion.

There's awesome technical guitarists like Vai, awesome tonal guitarists like Eric Johnson, awesome emotional guitarists like Slash, and homos like the guy from Incubus who think solos are a waste of time.
yeah i dont really think its possible to pick one as a definate best. Its like asking 10 people what their favorite food is. Shouldn't there be some combination of flavors that makes something definitively the best food? no, because everyone's tastes are different. those 10 people could taste exactly the same thing and come away with different opinions of those food items.
Guys, am i the only 1 who feels like were all saying the same thing? I mean, sure we are right, but doesnt that make this an unnecessary thread?

btw, the singer in "bullet for my valentine" should be taken inte cosnideration, few ppl can sing and play such complicated riffs at the same time.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
There are so many guitarists that are great. It would be hard to all put them against each other, considering they have different styles, sounds, etc. There are all different, that is what makes a lot of them great in my opinion.
Jimmy Page was sloppy as all hell, listen to his live solos, he barely hits the right notes. That being said, hes still one of my favourites, amazingm amazing riffs, good recorded solos, (ok live). That being said.. my soloing I stole from Clapton..
Opinion, duh...

Sheesh... How many times...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Its sort of an opinion, but if theres a player who combines technique, clean playing, feeling/love, speed, and technical playing together, they would be the best. I feel that shreders meet this the best. Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, and Joe Satriani are probably some of the best. And im not being biased because shred isnt my favorite type of music. I much rather prefer Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin to it, but shred just combines all of the best of guitar playing.
It's obviousy going to be opinion. Just because one person thinks *insert guitarist's name here* is good, doesn't mean that someone else feels the same way. It's quite possible that even though a guitarist is skilled, that someone will still say they suck because their style just isn't what that person likes to hear.

It's entirely opinion. You can look at other threads like these and nearly everyone thinks a different person is the greatest guitarist ever.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
opinon and personal preferance, thought you could prolly use classical standards to measure up the different guitarist as far as composition goes
^ What, custom?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Oh lol~
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Opinion.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Its all opinion, and some fact too

First of all... your wouldnt say that Bille Joe Armstrong is the best guitar of all time, because he sucks nuts, and he sucks at the guitar. Thats the fact part of it

Then once you get the actually guitar players, its all opinion. Not everyone likes shredding, so hence they wont think a shred guitarist is the greatest. Not everyone likes nice blues solos, so hence they wont really like Stevie Ray. Some people like cool rock solos, so they'll like Jimmy Page.

Its just your taste in music, were all different, so our opinions are going to be different, but all valid, unless if you like Greenday, and think that Billie Joe is a god...
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Its sort of an opinion, but if theres a player who combines technique, clean playing, feeling/love, speed, and technical playing together, they would be the best. I feel that shreders meet this the best. Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, and Joe Satriani are probably some of the best. And im not being biased because shred isnt my favorite type of music. I much rather prefer Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin to it, but shred just combines all of the best of guitar playing.

Chet atkins applies it all
its all opinion
I really dont like ska much any more... : /
SRV. end of thread. he could play circles around anyone. not only could he put a lot of emotion in his solos, but he could play really fast as well.

that being said, yea it's opinion.
opinion.

suppose Vai, he has been my biggest influence. but i suppose it would vary through styles, its not like im gonna put Vai #1 over Jimi on blues

but Vai ******** I M H O ********
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I could name a million great players but my current favorites are Jeff Loomis of Nevermore and Muhammed Suicmez of Necrophagist
technically the greatest guitarist ever is probably Vai or Buckethead (10 finger tapping man), but that doesn't mean they're the best sounding, and its all about sound with music.
Dickless.
that's a opinion man!!!! come on!!
i know they are great guitarist, but hendrix!!
jimi IS one of most famous of all time not only because of his style, is because he love to play guitar and he do it with the heart!!!!!
sorry... i am a little sad...
in my opinion would probably be eddie van halen
Quote by GuitarJunkie
i look down upon men who dont masturbate on a regular basis..they are helping perpetuate prostate cancer..and they are lying if they say the dont

now its time for me to go reduce my risk of prostate cancer.

Quote by freeallboutu91
in my opinion would probably be eddie van halen

imo v.h. rocked at tapping because no one ever really made a big deal about it before him and he took advantage of it.

and

imo.......vai at technical, michael angelo batio at speed / dual handing stuff, satriani at teaching..haha, jimi at creativity and intellegence.
Under certain TECHNICAL parameters, BEST is factual.

For example, if by best you meant fastest, it could be proven. If you meant most complex, it could be proven.

However, technical ability is only a fraction of what guitar playing is. Therefore, you can't pick an overall BEST guitarist. Favorite, yes. Best, no.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
^thank you, fading roots
Quote by Hpda5121

mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
100% opinion. An fan of Delta blues might think that Son House was the greatest guitar player ever, while Shred fan might think Son House is horrible because he can't sweep pick or play at over 20 notes per second. Now, of course I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
its a bit of both.
for example... if someone said ashlee simpson is the greatest guitar player ever (god forbid she ever picks up a guitar) it would be a fact that she is not.

but if i said randy rhoads (rip) is the greatest guitar player ever it would be my opinion...