What are half time feels and double time feels? They're obviously feels of music, but how could you describe them? What are their characteristics? Thanks in advance.

'tis life
i know double time is like where there are 2 bass drums playing in a rythym. listen to any metal song and you'll see what i mean
They generally refer to the snare drum. In a regular feel (this is all in 4/4 time), the snare drum is hit on the 2 and 4 beat. In a half-time feel, the snare drum will be hit on the 3 beat. This will make the song feel half as fast. In a double-time feel, the snare will be hit on the up-beat. It will be hit on the &s: 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &. This will make the song feel twice as fast.

Examples of half time:
Symphony X-"Smoke and Mirrors" After the second chorus, right before the first keyboard solo. The song is written at 120, but it feels like 60 at that point.
Metallica-"Whiplash" The song is written at 160, but it feels like 320.

Examples of double time:
SYmphony X-"SMoke and Mirrors" The song is written at 120, but the verse feels like 240.

"Why would you use these things instead of just changing the tempo, BGC?"

Excellent question. There is no real right way to do it. "Smoke and Mirrors" could be written with three different tempos, though you don't really want to write something at 240. Whiplash really should be written at 160. Writing at 300 is silly.

Quote by anal frost
i know double time is like where there are 2 bass drums playing in a rythym. listen to any metal song and you'll see what i mean
That is incorrect.
well let's say that you're playing in umm... 120 beats per minute. the drummer is playing some standard drum beat with some fills. then all of a sudden comes a bridge, chorus, or a whole new section.
one of the things that make these things powerful is that they slow down. the thing is, that they're actually in half time (in this case, 60 bpm) so that everything is half as fast as it was at first.
it's pretty strange to write: "tempo=60" in a point like this, and it's much more simple to say "half time feel".

this is used in a lot of songs, just about anyone can think of an example, my example is suicide note pt. 2 by pantera.

and of course, double time feel is the opposite of this.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Hmm, 15 minutes by the strokes...Ceremony by Satch...*rambles on in his asylum*