Hi everyone.. I tried to use google to get an answer for this but strangely enough I couldn't find anything to answer it. I found an old archived thread on here but it didn't really apply because my guitar is an SG.

I just bought new Gibson speed knobs to replace my current ones. I tried just pulling the current ones off, but they are too close to the wood to get any sort of leverage under it. I tried getting a shoelace and pulling up on it but I was afraid I would damage the finish or mechanics. Will it break if I just pull up on it after wrapping a shoelace under it? I'm really worried about cracking the wood...
Last edited by wilty00 at Jun 23, 2006,
Does it matter if the old knob breaks???, It's not going to mess up the electronics or anything. . .

Anyway, i feel your pain, ive been trying to get the knobs of my strat for two weeks now, and the mother****ers wont come off, luckily im gettin a new pickguard too (because theres big dents in mine now) . . .

edit: any ideas on how to get strat knobs off too?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Nah I don't care if the old knobs break.. I'm giving my guitar a complete makeover today Went and got a new strap, new pickholder, new knobs... new strings

Im just worried about absolutely demolishing my guitar.
okay get a thin cloth, or shoelace and wrap it around under the knob and pull up evenly and slowly. That should work.

As for Strats I just took a THICK pick and wedged the tip under the knob and pryed it up.
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Alright guys thanks I got them off.. the first one was REALLY stubborn but the others came off with bare hands.

As for putting the new ones on, do I just jam them in there?
Yeah I was thinking maybe putting a cloth over it and using a hammer. That won't damage it will it?

Also, any tips on getting the numbers lined up properly? I can never get the right angle.
I've got one of those cooking things you use to hammer cookies and stuff like that... I was thinking about using the arm of a hoodie to soften it. I don't want them wrecked 'cause I just bought them two hours ago.
yea a hoodie would probably work fine. i always used and instrument cloth but anything will do
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
UGH... I just can't get the damn things to go all the way down. I've gotten to the point where I mounted my kitchen table and sat on them and they still wouldn't go down. I brought out the whole artillery and a full on hammer and its still not working.
I remember this happened to me before. It's either you have the wrong type of knobs
(18 spline knob 24 spline pot) This will be true if your guitar is a copy because you got gibson knobs which are for gibson/high end guitars. Or you need to lower your pots a bit.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jun 23, 2006,
Nope my guitar is a Gibson SG Special... no copy. The knobs im putting on are Gibson as well.
Are the shafts the same? Cehck to be sure the inside of the knob is abtou the save size as the shaft of the pot. Becuase My speedknobs popper right onto my pots, so much so that I had ot make the shaft a bit wider so they woudl'nt fall off.
Don't force them too hard. You could crack the guitar and send the pots themselves into the cavity. How far are they from the body? I'm pretty sure you can just lower your pots.
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
he has the knobs off, hes trying to get the new ones on all the way, read the thread not just the title....

Maybe the space where the pot holds on to the knob is shorter than the others so that way its somewhat floating..
^same thing happens with my jem's after i changed the pot.
try cutting the pots shaft a little?
^ you can just lower the pot's height in the guitar by adding some washers or nuts or whatever to the thread beneath the scratchplate/wood.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
^ you can just lower the pot's height in the guitar by adding some washers or nuts or whatever to the thread beneath the scratchplate/wood.

damn you lol, ill have to try that calum, cheers