we tune to drop A in my band. as soon as we're done jamming i tune back up to standard E and i leave it there as long as i'm not practicing with my band. will this still ruin/effect my neck?
I dont think so but its more of a guess, just watch ur neck and over a period of a few months u notice it starting to bend then adjust the trust rod. if its a neck through guitar i believe ur fine (not an expert though)

EDIT I was thinking that too, why are you playing in drop a anyways
What gauge of strings are you using?
Rest assured, that with a heart that's pure, we'll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us.
whats songs can you play in drop A? jw because ive never seen a tab for a song in drop A before
Quote by enjoi91
whats songs can you play in drop A? jw because ive never seen a tab for a song in drop A before

They're in a band, they play their own songs.
Rest assured, that with a heart that's pure, we'll be victorious and not let our hate get the best of us.
a. we're grindcore
b. it is neck through, (a schecter c-1 plus)
c. i just put on 11s. i asked for 12s but the guy at the desk said it wouldn't be a good idea because it's too big.
I don't understand how your strings can accomodate Standar and Drop A. They must be really floppy.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by enjoi91

we make our own songs. i said i tune back up the standard E when i'm done with band practice.
My friend's band is in drop A#. He uses 14's.
Yea I was using 10-52s in A Standard (These Walls, Panick Attack - DT) and they were even a little floppy.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
I don't understand how your strings can accomodate Standard and Drop A. They must be really floppy.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by BobFromReboot
I don't understand how your strings can accomodate Standard and Drop A. They must be really floppy.

I don't understand why you need to post the same thing twice.
it may affect the neck, but nothin' too serious, but if you feel this tuning is good for you, I'd suggest a baritone.
Chevelle play drop A. They're bad ass too.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
^That guy uses a baritone guitar, so its made for low ass tunings. I don' t think there will be a neck problem, but you sure as hell wont be able to be set-up properly in both tunings. Your intonation will be bad in one tuning, when set up in the other.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
yeah if want to play in drop a correcty you will have to get a setup, i learned this the hard way when i tuned my guitar from standard to drop b, my next bent and it went out of intonation, i just got it back from being fixed, when you drop it all you have to do is get a set up and have it put in intonation or the neck will convex (bend) and the strings get really loose, when you get it set up and put into intonation the strings will be tighter and the neck straight, but you wont be able to go back into standard, hope this helped
god man you must have the worst intonation problems in the world. whatever floats your boat i guess. jeez man your guitar is just one octave off of being a really floppy string bass
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by tylerishot
I don't understand why you need to post the same thing twice.

oh man I was thinking the same damn thing ahahahahahahaha
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Drop a is fine, but if you constantly drop tune it and raise it back up to pitch again constantly, it is bad for the neck and the strings.
since you use .11s i think you should be fine, i play in drop b with .11s and they arent floppy, and i tune it up again occasionally but as long as you arent using .12s you should be fine
I have an Idea, for later, for you.

Get a 7 string guitar. Tune it to drop A (meaning dropping the low A a whole step). Then, with no work involved, you can have standard and drop A without a hassle.
Quote by enjoi91

cannibal corpse
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
^ Fear Factory plays in droped A. and im like the thread starter, i keep my guitar in dropped C and occasionaly go to dropped A, but i never go to standard on it. cause i did on my last guitar and it wapred the neck like a mother. i play with ernie ball "not even slinkys" and occasionally Zakk Wylde GHS boomers. but yes, dropped A to standard will mess up the neck. i know.
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Meh, i can play in A or E....11-.70

It should be fine...just make sure its not bowing too much.