Alright fools, Ive got another question for you. I dug out the velvet underground and Nico last week from my basement. And I've really been enjoying the guitar distortion they've got going on. Problem is, i cant really replicate it with my gear (*see Sig) are they using a fuzz box (what is a fuzz box, is it the same as distortion?) Any help would be appreciated. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Fuzz is a different effect. Not exactly distortion. Think Jimi Hendrix. Pick up a fuzz face or something like that and it should sound really nice with your strat and hot rod.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
What are your thoughts on fuzz face vs all the muffs?

And did hendrix just use a stock fuzz face, or was it modded like his wah???
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

copying and pasting out of another post I made on the thing

the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face - ok, these are really picky, espescially the vintage ones as germanium transitors have huge differences between indivual transitors as the manufacturing process wasn't too reliable and they vary greatly over temperature changes (try hot stage lighting). I've built one to basically what are the vintage specs using germainum transistors and sometimes it just "dies", other times it sounds great...
Out of 10 original ones you get might even get only 4 that actually sound good.
Roger Mayer messed around a bit with Hendrix's ones.
Today you can get a bunch of various clones and reissues of it. Some of the older Dunlop versions of it really suck though apparently they've fixed it up now. You've got a bunch of boutique pedal makers who do clones of them (Analog Man, Fulltone and a bunch of the smaller ones).

both of the pedals have got a fat bottom end, I'd say the Big Muff is a bit smoother as you've got that tone control in there
What are your thoughts on the jimi fuzz/wah because i need a wah as well. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Fuzz is a different effect. Not exactly distortion. Think Jimi Hendrix. Pick up a fuzz face or something like that and it should sound really nice with your strat and hot rod.

Fuzz is not a different effect, it's basically super high gain distortion. Distortion is created by clipping the soundwave. Distortion creates large amounts of clipping, fuzz clips the signal so much it can sometimes form a square wave.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Fuzz is not a different effect, it's basically super high gain distortion. Distortion is created by clipping the soundwave. Distortion creates large amounts of clipping, fuzz clips the signal so much it can sometimes form a square wave.

Thanks for correcting me. I dont really know the technical side of things as much as i would like.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...