Now this is sick.
I saw a guy watching a guitar player, the guitar player played a few notes and the other guy that was watching could say directly what scale it was in.
How can he do that when there are meny more scales with the same notes.
Thats weird.
Do a UG and Google search for "perfect pitch". It's generally thought of as something that cannot be taught - which is not to say that one cannot learn to identify intervals, but that takes some serious aural skills practice
He recognized the intervals. After awhile, recognizing these intervals and using them to figure out which scales they belong to become second nature.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
actually its a little more than just what the intervals are (remember again, all majors have a relative minor) its probably a combination of the grouping of notes along with how it resolved and the general overall tonic sound of whatever he was playing all coupled together.
read up on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_pitch

only few have absolute/perfect pitch (you know exactly what note is being played and you can name it...providing you know enough about music to know the names of the notes), us others get by with relative pitch (you can hear 2 notes and name the interval between them, even though you have no idea what they are, or you can hear a chord and know if its major or minor....)....and others are tone deaf

now when you said "exactly what scale its in" do you mean like "that was in G major" (which would be perfect pitch...unless the guy was looking at him play ) or "that was a pentatonic minor lick" (relative pitch)?
Last edited by seljer at Jun 23, 2006,
^ Actually he could have done it with relative pitch also, as long as he has even one key tone to start from.

ie:
<hear a minor scale>
Em?
No, Am.
<hear a major scale>
C major [major and a m3rd higher]

Once you have a principle tone to work from, you can pretty much put any other note dead on, if you've spent some time ear training.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club