I was looking at Jimmy Pages guitars, and they said that his Les paul necks all were shaved down to be elliptical. I don't plan on replicating one. I just want to know what he did to the neck, and how its different from a regular Les Paul neck. Curiosity is the reason for this thread. And if i put it in the wrong place, i apologize.
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
i could very easily be wrong but I believe it was elliptical because he could play the guitar w/ the violin bow then, because on standard necks he could only play the two E strings.
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
Is the front of the neck elliptical or the back? yeargh im confused
Quote by jmag

Quote by Snowblindvictim
Is the front of the neck elliptical or the back? yeargh im confused

eh maybe the front.

i really dont know much on the situation

and besides like i said, i dont even know if thats why it was elliptical in the first place
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
It's the back of the neck. The guitar he used for bowing had a curved bridge, but that's it.
what I heard was he shaved the neck to make it the same thickness all along the neck, but that has nothing to do with the bowing
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
For the bowing he had a curved bridge right?
Quote by jmag

Quote by powerage225
what I heard was he shaved the neck to make it the same thickness all along the neck, but that has nothing to do with the bowing

he says he got it that way, and it was shaved so that it was slightly thinner in the middle
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
Quote by Snowblindvictim
For the bowing he had a curved bridge right?

Yes. Didn't he use a Tele for using the bow on?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
How did he get that curved bridge though?
Quote by jmag

Quote by zeppelin68
page is a god, thats why....

Yup

I know he bowed on a Les Paul with a curved bridge. Did he have a curved bridge on the telecaster too?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^Nope, the tele has a flat body w/the bridge right up against it. I guess you could move the saddles, but he didn't. If you look at old footage of him bowing the tele he only hits the top two strings and the low e.
Quote by Roc8995
^Nope, the tele has a flat body w/the bridge right up against it. I guess you could move the saddles, but he didn't. If you look at old footage of him bowing the tele he only hits the top two strings and the low e.

the bit about his les paul having a special large radius are ludicrous in my opinion. I don't know how someone hasnt dispelled it yet.

the tele and les paul would both be radiused, the tele would be rounder. there is no way that he took the fretboard off his les paul, and replaced it with a rounder one. it would be 12" like all the rest
Fender blues deluxe and an Epiphone Les paul

Quote by utsapp89
Volume=Emotion.
jimmy page does not have his guitar fretboard eliptical to make violin plability better. to do this with 6 strings you would need to have a fretboard with a radius of 3" which is practically impossible to play. i am a jimmy page lover and so i bought a violin bow. you can only play high or low. i dont have a problem with it. you bress light you get the e's. you press hard you can get about 2 or 3 strings going at once. thus creating power chord on the lower 3or 4 strings. jimmy page shaved the back of the neck. not the fretboard. otherwise it would say. he shaved the fretboard. and think about it. what shape is an elipse? its kind of the more tehnical way of saying v. because an elipse has a sharper curve on either side. instrad of having a 50s rounded or 60's slim taper. he has his 59 les paul with the thick neck shaved to make it shaped somewhat like a v or an ellipse. if you still dont understand. go play an ovation. they have elliptical necks. some of the vintage fender relic custom shop strats have simmilar neck profile. think about it. neck... not fretboard and bridge. eliptical.... oval shaped... duh!?
Quote by zeppelin68
^he used both his les paul, and his tele

when he used his tele, he didnt have a les paul. but he did bow on both. flat top bodies are so hard to bow on.
Thanks Pacman.
However it was proven in the Jimmy Page rig thread that you dont need a curved bridge to bow all 6 strings, its just a matter of restringing the guitar. It however doesnt say in the thread
Quote by jmag

Still wondering, sorry if this is an illegal bump
Quote by jmag

Page's les paul's neck is fat and unshaved near the nut ( nearer to the headstock ) then as it goes down to the 5-7-9th frets it gets extremely thin, then it gets fat again.