I really NEED to get that metallica metal sound, but i don't know much about pickups n stuff. I know they use mostly ESP guitars with EMG pickups, and i would like to get for example an ESP LTD EX-400, which has active EMG pickups. My Uncle says that active pickups have a very compressed sound, and is that what i will want in order to get the real metallica feel'?
Well considering they used them pratically all the time from the mids 80s and onwards I'd say they would get you that sound.

But your amp is more important alltogether. Get a Mesa Boogie Mark IV or other sort of amp (the early stuff was done on a modded Marshall though)
Quote by seljer
Well considering they used them pratically all the time from the mids 80s and onwards I'd say they would get you that sound.

But your amp is more important alltogether. Get a Mesa Boogie Mark IV or other sort of amp (the early stuff was done on a modded Marshall though)

However, they didn't use EMGs on Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets - not sure what they used then.
Seymour Duncan Invaders actually. I think so, at least; I do know that they used SOME kind of Seymour Duncan pickup.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
if you wanna sound like hetfield then I think its EMG 60's. If you wanna sound like hammet then its the combination of EMG 81 + 85. You need a heavy guitar with lots of wood like a les paul or an explorer for hetfileds sound or for hammet something lighter with a floyd rose like an ibanez or ESP. The most important thing is the amp, mesa boogie if possible or if not you can get a mesa pedal called a v-twin which will make any amp sound quite like a mesa boogie stack. To be fair though they have a huge amount of equipment and you probably will never get the kind of sound they do but all the stuff I listed should get you pretty close
If it smells OK, taste it.
Your amp and/or effects should be more effective at giving you your 'metallica' sound...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Well I mostly just want to be able to play Enter Sandman, Holier Than thou n maybe One n Fade to Blk (even though they didn't use EMG's on the last two). Will the ESP LTD EX-400 give me that?
Thanks folks! I got what i needed (especially from the last one there). I'll probably want like active EMG 80/60 or something similar.
i can get a metallica sound easy and i have low grade equipment. i have a washburn guitar and it is lowend and a marshall amp it is MG15DFX. if you buy it, it says 15 watts mine is 45 watts
Mesa Dual Recto EMG 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck in a mahogany guitar you will get there tone pretty well
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Vindication
However, they didn't use EMGs on Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets - not sure what they used then.

Hammett used EMGs on the MOP album; his V was fitted with them.
What ?? I thought MOP was played with a 498T ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
invader...on james' first guiitar with metallica
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by bluespunkmetal
What ?? I thought MOP was played with a 498T ??

James still had passive pick-ups, but Kirk had replaced his pick-ups in his RR V with EMG actives.
Quote by pugsley_punk
i can get a metallica sound easy and i have low grade equipment. i have a washburn guitar and it is lowend and a marshall amp it is MG15DFX. if you buy it, it says 15 watts mine is 45 watts

dude..you need to worry more about playing better..(not saying you suck) but judging by your gear...you havnt been playing long...i was like you at one time too....learn to play better then make your own sound...dont replicate...

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
A broomstick with EMG's would let you have a real metallica sound. The emg's sound metal but the quality of your guitar really goes lost (some people say that is not true though): Only my opinion
Well I play through a Line 6 POD, which has 20 diffirent amp models that I can choose from. So if I get a guitar with EMG's, will that do for now, or will i still need to get an amp suited for metal/rock playing?
amp is a millions times more important than pups

but im telling you...dont try and sound exactly like metallica

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I know, just investigating. I'll most likely end up buying something else (probably a Gibson Explorer *drooling*).
ESP explorer > Gibson explorer
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
ESP explorer > Gibson explorer

Its true its so true. But you gotta get the ESP Explorers off of eBay nowadays
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Its true its so true. But you gotta get the ESP Explorers off of eBay nowadays

Why? I've seen two diffirent ESP Explorers on musiciansfriend.com
Simon, they're talking about the "real" ESP EXP series explorers with the hockey stick headstocks. and Vindication, I know for a fact that hetfield started using EMGs during the ride tour, and kirk had them around the same time era.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music