It's your song, you can do whatever you want with it. Hell, you don't even have to stay in the same key.
I am sort of in the same situation as you, but the onyl real rule is : If it sounds good, use it. Try lots of different scales and see what you like.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
you can. My general rule is, if you start playing a minor scale... stay with a minor scale. I find that usually major scales and minor scales don't mix too well.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i thought c# Aeolian WAS the c# minor pentatonic? or is it just the c# minor scale?

C# Aeolian has the same notes as C# Minor, yes.

The pentatonic only has 5 notes, where as the Aeolian mode and minor scale are diatonic, ergo they have 7 notes.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
i thought c# Aeolian WAS the c# minor pentatonic? or is it just the c# minor scale?

Aeolian has 7 notes, pentatonic has 5. The minor pentatonic is essentially the natural minor with two notes omitted.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
use the 8-note diminished scales.....they are very secksy
Ah

Ha
If you want to try an entirely new key, go ahead. If it was pentatonic before, you could use the modes the previous poster said and it would fit (but with a more defined mood). If you want a more major feel, you could switch to E Major, too.
if u would change the key use the Diminished scale as a passage to the new key if u have a bridge or whatever in the song.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by poochy
you can. My general rule is, if you start playing a minor scale... stay with a minor scale. I find that usually major scales and minor scales don't mix too well.

i disagree, crazy train into is in F# minor whereas the verses are in the relative A major, which sounds really good to me.

try using the relative major or take everything a couple of steps up for example the end of living on a prayer by bon jovi - sorry for such a cheesy example
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
i disagree, crazy train into is in F# minor whereas the verses are in the relative A major, which sounds really good to me.

try using the relative major or take everything a couple of steps up for example the end of living on a prayer by bon jovi - sorry for such a cheesy example

Sorry, I should change that. I meant that if your bass/other guitar/keys/whatever is still playing in a minor key and you're soloing ain a minor key, then all of a sudden switch to a major key (while they're still playing minor) that it just sounds odd.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.