What band do you think was ahead of their time guitar wise?? I think Thin Lizzy were, they have a song called cold sweat and its metal. before metal like, abd their harmonising!! wow!
sabbath - not really guitar wise though , hendrix definately
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I'd say Van Halen...... Definately Hendrix, .... Id say Malmsteen to, other stuff like his in 84' came out later on in about 88' or so.... Not like its a big gap, but still appropriate to the topic.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
harmonizing started thousands of years ago, lmao.

:P

anyways, I'd probably say metallica. they were pretty ahead with MOP era in the 80s..
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

I'm a big fan of Ritchie Blackmore, especially his neo-classical stuff. He certainly inspired other guitarists like Malmsteen.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
the velvet underground were way ahead of their time.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i agree with zappa...hes prlly my favourite musician ever

other than that van halen of course

john coltrane for sure
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

^ Coltrane played sax....? I'm assuming you just mean as a musician though, which I would agree with.
I agree with Zappa being ahead of his time, Van Halen as well. Maybe the guys from Television and Hendrix with his use of effects/recording techniques. Actually, I would say Zappa is ahead of his time not as much for his guitar playing but his approach to recording and his enthusiasm for new technologies, he was always at the fore-front as far as technology goes.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Last edited by acdc101 at Jun 23, 2006,
zappa, and king crimson
i would rather staple my own hands to a train, than pray on knees that judge and blame.
id say blue oyster cult they just diddnt sound like anything, also wes montgomary was ahead of his time, van halen was in the 80s lately he hasnt done anything revolutionary tho
hendrix of course.

i dont know why everyone is saying evh but no randy rhoads. randy was playing with all the same tricks with quiet riot, and they were both around at the same time...

so id say evh AND randy rhoads.
Budgie

Check out "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" or "Breadfan", yah, I know Metallica covered them both but the originals rock out.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by xrawrockkillsx
hendrix of course.

i dont know why everyone is saying evh but no randy rhoads. randy was playing with all the same tricks with quiet riot, and they were both around at the same time...

so id say evh AND randy rhoads.

Right you are. Randy Rhoads completely slipped my minds. He was play crazier stuff than Van Halen before VHI was even released. The only reason he is more well known is because he got a record deal first.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
I'd deffinetly say hendrix, who else used the amazin effects he did with his guitar, there's no one else like Jimi
Dillinger Escape Plan.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
King Crimson. People must've been scared when they heard 21st Century Schizoid Man in 1969...
When I heard smoking would kill me, I bought shares in Dunhill and Marlboro - Thomas Geraghty

If we don't change it, nothing will fucking change.
Paganini, most people know him as a violinist but he was a virtuoso classical guitarist too. He was the worlds first shredder. He played 6 string sweep arps and all, insane stuff. But he kicked more ass at violin.
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!