i dont have an amp available at the moment so i figured id just ask

i want to lower one of the pickups on my bass so it wont be in the way as much and i was just wondering how it would effect my tone and any other negative/positive effects this might have

thanks in advance
I dont recommend that you do so, because it will interfere with your frequencies. And your E string will be quieter because the pickup is further away from it. That is why the pickups are put in the place they are when they were made. If you dont like the pickup setup then i suggest you look into another more comfortable bass.

Keep rocking in the free world, peace
Quote by GnFnR
I dont recommend that you do so, because it will interfere with your frequencies. And your E string will be quieter because the pickup is further away from it. That is why the pickups are put in the place they are when they were made. If you dont like the pickup setup then i suggest you look into another more comfortable bass.

Keep rocking in the free world, peace

loads of people alter the height of the pickups. their ajustable for that reason.

threadstarter: that pickup would be quieter, probably a bit boomier. when their too close its louder and brighter i think.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
if you get too close you'll get wolf tone, which is muddy and overdriven type of sound. remember to fret at the 24th to make sure you wont touch the pickup with the string. it's not too hard, but be careful bro. you might end up losing the spot you've got now and it being even worse..
^i'll get a pic in a sec of what low tuning + high pickups does

edit: its a bit crap and blurry (**** digicam) but you can just about see the lines going across the pickups under the E

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Jun 25, 2006,
it's fine. just adjust it and if you don't like it play around with where you do, that's why they're adjustable
The pickups generate magnetic fields which magnetize the strings. When the strings are plucked, their vibrations disturb the original magnetic field. Any changes in the magnetic field will result in a current flow in the coils of wire of the pickup.

If the pickup is lowered, it effectively reduces the magnetization of the strings and reduces the pickup's nature to react to changes in the magnetic field--to produce an electrical signal.

If the pickup has pole pieces, then the magnetic field set up by them will have a geometry (a shape) specific to the shape of the exposed pole piece. A sharp pole piece will have a greater concentration of magnetic field at the tip, whereas a rounded pole piece will have a gradual spread of field. How the string passes through this field will also affect the tone and timbre of the signal.

By puling the pickup back, you reduce the volume output and some of the tone characteristics in the high and midrange part of the spectrum. At some point, only the lower harmonics and the fundamental will be prominent. You will get more lows coming through, but at a lower volume. It's almost like rolling the tone knob town and the volume knob down at the same time.

Hold the strings down at the highest fret--if the string vibrations clear the pickup pole piece and produce a pleasant sound, good. Raise the pickups until this does not happen, plucking at the highest fret each time. When you get it too high, back it off a skosh. You have found the height that will give the pickup the highest output. It helps that the trussrod and the bridge saddles are at optimum height for your playing style.

Wolf tones don't occur unless you have a super strong magnetic field from your pickup. If your pickup is magnetically "hot", you may want to back it off a lot more, to prevent unwanted harmonics from creeping into the signal. Otherwise, don't worry about it.