I need to adjust my truss rod on my Ibanez electric guitar. I am pressing the first fret and the 18th fret (where the neck meets the body) and the strings are actually touching the 8th fret. Do I need to loosen or tighten the truss rod to raise the strings the proper amount?
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
I don't think you should use your truss rod to adjust your action I think that you're supposed to adjust your bridge for that and miss using your truss rod could damage your neck

or that's what I think anyway... I'm a n00b so if i'm wrong don't flame me
if there's not any gap at the middle frets u turn the nut Counter clockwise. 1/8" turn and wait an hour before remeasuring.

dont force the turn.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well, nah you're right. u dont adjust action at the neck first. but he's already measured and senses that its too straight. so an adjustment shouldnt hurt anything.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

OK. I loosened the truss rod and the strings are about .3 mm distance from the 8th fret now. But I notice that when I fret certain notes (typically towards the headstock), the string vibrates slighlty against the fret bar below fret that I am pushing on. I don't want to raise the action any more as it seems to be perfect. Do I need to adjust the truss rod even more? Thanks....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
.3 mm is already getting on the high side.

the amount of bend in ur neck is all preference. but, i wouldnt give it too much more bend.

you can always give it one more turn. if u hate the results, then turn it back an hour later.

or u can answer these questions....
is the buzzing new? (since u started adjusting?)
is it on all the strings?

sometimes nut cuts are low, and this hurts ur ability to get the action lower.

if it was only one string, u can build up the nut, to clear that fret.

*striker, not tired yet, but we'll see.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The buzzing is just on the low E, A, and D strings. I raise the action on that side of the bridge so that it doesn't hit the other frets, but then it seems the action is too high.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
i dont know what to tell u.
u might have a high fret. (needs to be tapped down.)

uve measured the neck to make sure there's enough bend
and uve adjusted the buzzing frets.

normally if the action seems too high and u cant get it lower by adjusting the bridge, it means the neck is too bent.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62