I figured I might as well post this since this is the Gear Building & Customizing Forum. So here it is.

After seeing how quick it has been for the other guitarist in my band to setup and tear down his equipment, and after playing a number of shows where a quick setup/put away would have been handy, I too longed for the convenience of a pedal board.

I started browsing around the internet looking for pedal boards. Decent ones sold for anywhere from one to four hundred dollars. Ouch... So I decided it would be much easier to make my own, and set out on a mission to do exactly that.

The first thing I needed was a case. I thought about buying aluminum cases, ATA cases, and even old suitcases. I started searching on Ebay for the perfect case and finally came up with an ATA case that measured 24" x 12". This was perfect! So I managed to pick it up for $20.

A couple weeks later it arrived. Here are a couple of pics.

And the inside.

The next step was to get the actual pedal board. A simple piece of plywood was cut to the proper dimensions.

Next the plywood board was painted black with flat black spray paint. Next the painted board was covered in black Velcro (the loop side). Contact cement was used to glue it down.

The Velcro was looped under the board and stapled down for some (hopefully) added strength. Rubber feet were also added so the board won't slip around on floors.

Next came some handles, so the board can be easily lifted out of the case. I don't like the gold screws on the silver handles, so those will be replaced when I get around to finding some silver screws.

Next, strips of Velcro (hook side) were placed on each pedal. They were positioned and placed on the board. Once all the cables are out of the way, this is the final product!

I figure I saved around $200 by building this myself, and I quite like the finished product.
Nice work. I'm surely gonna do something just like that once i get all my pedals. I want that eq...
Nice. At first I though that you were saying that you built that flight case, and I was going to call bullshit. I think that you should do something with that power strip... maybe cut out some foam and hide it in there?

Edit: I see that (it looks like) there's some space in the bottom there.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, the power strip stands out a little bit. Unfortunately there is only about half an inch to an inch of clearance under the board, so I don't think that will work. I'm still on the lookout for a black power strip. I think that would look better.
Very nice! Do the pedals actually stay on if you turn it upside down or on its side?

And what are the dimensions for that? I'm gonna' make a pedalboard very soon, and that looks like a decent size.

I found a nice looking piece of wood in an alleyway yesterday....
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
very nice. i like to watch cheap stuff turn into useful good-looking tools.
nice man, how do you like that MXR EQ? I really want one and plan on buying one soon.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
so do pedal boards really save a lot of time because i drew up some pretty cool plans in paint for a pedal board and i was just wondering if it would be worth my while building it (i have a pretty extensive pedal collection five to six currently and will be adding more in summer)
yeah theyre worth it, means that moving/transport is safer and quicker.
and if theyre secured down, it makes theft harder
Quote by R_H_C_P
Very nice! Do the pedals actually stay on if you turn it upside down or on its side?

And what are the dimensions for that? I'm gonna' make a pedalboard very soon, and that looks like a decent size.

I found a nice looking piece of wood in an alleyway yesterday....

Yeah the pedals stay on securely no matter how it's turned. Plus, there's foam in the case which helps hold them down when in transport.

I can't remember the exact dimensions. But I think they were about half an inch shorter than the outside dimensions of the case. So around 23.5" x 11.5".

Quote by bshizzle911
nice man, how do you like that MXR EQ? I really want one and plan on buying one soon.

The MXR EQ has probably turned into my favourite pedal. It's just so versatile. I usually use it as a volume boost in the effects loop, but it can also be used to just completely change your sound. Great pedal.

Quote by thesumoftwo
so do pedal boards really save a lot of time because i drew up some pretty cool plans in paint for a pedal board and i was just wondering if it would be worth my while building it (i have a pretty extensive pedal collection five to six currently and will be adding more in summer)

Definitely. Although it probably means one extra trip to the car.
Quote by J Dub
So around 23.5" x 11.5".

Cool, that's nearly the same dimensions I'm gonna' make mine, just need some wood.... and velcro, and maybe some pedals....

I was thinking of making mine raised at the back, t'would be a rather cool idea, I'll think more about it though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
just incase anyone cares, heres my ideas for my own pedal board (i have recently decided to make it large enough for two rows of pedals so this idea isnt final)

Have you thought about (maybe) making holes and routing some of that bulky power supply wire underneath your board?
Quote by greenbox
Have you thought about (maybe) making holes and routing some of that bulky power supply wire underneath your board?

That's definitely an idea. I think I have enough room for now though, and probably enough room for 2-3 more pedals if I do some rearranging. But in the future I might have to do that.
Quote by J Dub

Next the plywood board was painted black with flat black spray paint. Next the painted board was covered in black Velcro (the loop side). Contact cement was used to glue it down.

Hey, nice board. I'm in the process of building my own board but I'm kinda stalling around the initial stage, painting a piece of plywood black. I rough sanded the wood, then spray painted a first coat of flat black paint. I let it dry for hours to one day. Then I sprayed another coat and let it dry. I think I have about 3 coats on there now. My problem is that when I touch the board, my fingers get black. What did I do wrong? Also, the board is a little rough. Should I fine sand it?

How did you paint yours? Thanks.
Quote by glorifiedg84
Can someone please help me? Bump

Let the paint cure, maybe?
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
try sealing it, hairspray (i'm sure that your mum/girlfriend/wife must have some somewhere) can work well for this, or if that doesnt work go out and buy a sealent from like an arts and crafts store, they make them for chalk, if that doesnt work then i have absolutely no idea, but im pretty sure that it will work.
How long does that usually take? I've let each coat dry for 24 hours before spraying on the next coat. I was thinking maybe I need to fine sand it with a 320 grit then spray a final coat on it. How does that sound.?
i'm not sure if that would make that much difference, but by all means give it a shot, provding you have enough paint left it wont do any harm
Do you have to use a primer when spray painting a piece of plywood. I didn't and maybe that's my problem.