okay,.... so here it is. Before buying the guitar I did a lot of research but I was expecting it would come like most electrical appliances with a manual explaining every nob and dial. Especially as it was marketed at the starter. (its a yam pacifica 012 btw)

On the front of my electric guitar is a pickup selector switch. It has three pickups, two single coils and a humbucker. Like most below the strings is a selector switch. It has five positions. The switch has five positions and I can hear the difference with it in each posistion. Pointed at the bridge its a rich rock sound and at the neck is a lighter cleaner sound if a bit tinny/buzy.

So my question is... which coils are being used in each position, and what type of music would normally be played in these positions?
When it's pointing to the neck, it's using the neck pickup.
(If I'm right,) the next one is the neck and middle pickups.
When it's in the middle, it uses the middle pickup.
I have no clue about the next setting.
When it's pointing to the bridge, it's using the bridge pickup.

The humbucker in the bridge is most likely to be used for heavier stuff, like hard rock or metal.

The single coils probably have better cleans, and are more suitable for any clean tones.

However, with the right pickups, humbuckers can do cleans and single coils can do high-gain stuff - Iron Maiden's guitarists use Strats with 3 single coils, if I'm correct, for example.
Ok, heres your basic switch

----------------------
1 2 3 4 5

At 1, you get just the single coil pickup that is right by the neck. That is more of a twangy, classic rock/bluesy sound, and sound way better clean than the humbucker will.

At 2, you get the Neck pickup and the Middle single coil put together, for whatever reason you would want it there.

3 is the middle pickup

4 is middle and the humbucker (bridge pickup)

5 is the bridge pickup, the Humbucker. The humbucker cancels out the buzzy, extra noise, and makes a rich, heavy sound. Good for metal or hard rock (or that goofy emo metal if thats your thing)
yea neck and brdige pickups r the only ones ive ever seen guitarists use
Quote by COB4ever
yea neck and brdige pickups r the only ones ive ever seen guitarists use

What about the fairly big amount of people with Ibanez RGs that have a HSH config?

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing to the thread.

Threadstarter, you could just try each position and see what suits you best.
Quote by Vindication

However, with the right pickups, humbuckers can do cleans and single coils can do high-gain stuff - Iron Maiden's guitarists use Strats with 3 single coils, if I'm correct, for example.

Single sized HB's, actually. Definitly in the neck and bridge positions.