i have a song that is C-G-F-G and i'm going for a "steve vai"-like song but its pretty much a big solo, i'm not quite sure how to solo over those 3 chords tho.

i figure i can just use all the notes in the 3 scales and the octaves for those scales right?

either way the rhythm chording sounds awesome
those are chords that are on the C major scale, you might want to look into modes
Quote by Doolittle
Do it for Hedwig!
Try different scales in C. Try how the minor pentatonic sounds for you, the c major, etc. If one of them sound good there you go.
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
Well all three chords reside in the key of Cmajor. You could...

1.) Play Cmajor all the way through the song.
or...
2.) Play C ionian over C, F lydian over F, and G mixolydian over G. Look into modes---just search this forum or UG Archives.

The typical way to go for beginners is #1. TRULY each mode as a separate mode is very difficult to do correctly. You have to have the ear for it. You may THINK you're doing it, but you're not.

Cmin over that progression MIGHT work, but it may be bluesy. It is a I IV V progression, so that helps... using the minor pentatonic would be a good choice depending on the feel you want. Any other scale with C as the root might sound strange---it's probably in your best interest to keep to Cmajor. You can't really just *choose* a scale with C as the root and wait until something sounds good... you'll just figure out that C ionian is the best.
Looking for my India/Django.
what would happen if you played cmaj pentatonic? what relation does the cmin pentatonic have with the c major key? and why doesnt cmaj pentatonic seem to work well with cmaj key?
does this mean that cmaj pentatonic would work better with cmin scale? hehe read it and see what you think!
- tommy
Quote by tombomb22
what would happen if you played cmaj pentatonic? what relation does the cmin pentatonic have with the c major key? and why doesnt cmaj pentatonic seem to work well with cmaj key?
does this mean that cmaj pentatonic would work better with cmin scale? hehe read it and see what you think!

c major pentatonic would work fine
you'll get a sweet simple sound out of it, too

'tis life
Quote by tombomb22

regarding the pentatonics and general rock type solos:
minor pentatonic over major = it'll work
major penatonic over minor = nope

as well as regular major over major and minor over minor
you definately need to know more theory.

Every scale has 8 notes in it, because of this chords will be within a key.

C, F, G are the I, IV, V chords of C major - I, IV, V meaning they are major chords based on the first, fourth, and fifth notes of the scale.
I, IV, and V are the 3 most used chords in music, and maybe the vi too (Am in C major.)

Because of this, the C major scale will work fine.

C major pentatonic is the C major scale with a few notes removed. It's just a shortened version of the C major scale.
Just like the minor pentatonic is a shortened version of the minor scale. (I say "the" as if there is one... lol. Of the natural minor scale.)

you could switch scales, but it'd be better if you switched modes instead of full-on scales. But ignore this last sentence for a bit and tell me if you understood what I just said.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!