well, ive been playing my Ibanez RX170 for 2-3 weeks now. Ive learned 4 songs

Metallica - Sad But True

System of a Down - BYOB ( first minute of it at least )

Metallica - Enter Sandman ( solo took forever god! i had to practice it for 6 hours till i got it down, but they still ROCK haha

James Bond Theme ( I made up the melody to the sound of it, only about 47 secs long though )

And I have also learned most the basics ( hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc... )

well, my question basicly is am I doing good for the amount of time spent on the guitar or bad? im currently 15, im hoping to have music as a career, but if not i have a backup plan so dont worry bout that ( computer technician ). So do you guys think that by 19 I have a slight chance of even becoming a session guitarist?

Oh and my second Q, Im looking for HEAVY, VERY CHUNKY sound. Baratone like, but they cost a bit and well a little too much for me ( or my dad at least, my current setup is $250 but it still rocks ) . planning for end of the year present( christmas ). Any Guitars in Mind?
You're doing excellently for a few weeks. However, guitar playing isn't all about learning covers, especially if you're looking for a career in music. You can start by learning scales, modes, and chords- real chords, not 5ths.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Quote by JMack
You're doing excellently for a few weeks. However, guitar playing isn't all about learning covers, especially if you're looking for a career in music. You can start by learning scales, modes, and chords- real chords, not 5ths.

yea i know. im still working on the scales, they're a pain but i usually make a little tune to make it interesting. but oh well, its only been a few weeks i cant ossibly think that im done learning. ur never done learning. which i hate but thats life

but about the guitar anyone have suggestions?
Depends on what kind of session guitarest do you mean? Like a shredder? Or someone who makes background music for sportscenter (that shit ROCKS!)?

Anyway, your doing pretty good for a few weeks. But like Jmack said, real Chords! Very important, can be used for anything from strumming to girl-getting to making up riffs and licks out of them.
Quote by CowboyUp
Depends on what kind of session guitarest do you mean? Like a shredder? Or someone who makes background music for sportscenter (that shit ROCKS!)?

Anyway, your doing pretty good for a few weeks. But like Jmack said, real Chords! Very important, can be used for anything from strumming to girl-getting to making up riffs and licks out of them.

NO! god I HATE shredding. id much rather take 1 note and take it forever in a way to make u feel something you know? like carlos santana. he can make a certain attitude come out of the guitar, or feeling come out of it.

I LOVE solo's, but not stuff like paul gilbert, i mean i like listening to it, but as to playing it i really dont have any interest. I LOVE slash solo's. theyre not shredding and not too simple. its just right.

But guys plz im still waiting for the guitar Answer. I really need a recommendation ( 1st post is what i need )
I take it your in to metal? Learn everything on theory you can. Jam around with people way better than you. Take constructive critisism. And you should try to expend your ability technically to all the way it can, that way even if you hate shred you still have the option to do it if you want to. Which is good if you want to throw in a fast lick in a solo. Keep learning songs by guitarists whos technique you admire. Learn the solos, throw the licks in to your own solos, and then change em around as you progress, and create your own as well. also go to google video and look at john pettruccis rock discipline(not sure about the spelling but meh). He shreds but the tips in that video go for anything. But avoid the tension he uses at all times. Just because hes insane that tense doesnt mean you will be.
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
There's no way anyone can tell where you should be. You're exactly where
you're supposed to be based on how you practice. After 2-3 weeks that's
likely not very far out of the starting gate.

It sounds like you may need a bit of an attitude adjustment.

You can't possibly have learned "most of the basics". You have just barely made
a tiny little dent in being really proficient at them. These are not items on a
checklist that you learn in a few hours and then move on.

If you're really serious about a music career, the number 1 most important thing
to learn is how to practice. Without that you'll stand virtually no chance of making
it. Unless you have been gifted with extraordinary natural talent (you probably
have a better shot at winning the lottery).

Get the Guitar Priniples material. If you follow that material almost exclusively for
say 5-6 months and really take it seriously, you'll be in good shape to succeed. But,
realistically, a good session guitarist by 19? Even with the most perfect practice
habits that is an extremely remote possibility.