I understand major scales and modes (ie: ionian dorian vegetarian... etc, etc). at least in my own way. so in the key of C (just to make things easy) moving the ionian mode up 1 whole step will render the key of D... am i right so far?

so, if the flat-3rd is the natural minor, then would phrigian, played 1 fret down be the natural minor of ionian?

and what's the point of pentatonic scales? aren't they just regular scales but just skipping every other whole note?
Moving everything up 1 step would give you the key of D, yes.

I have no clue what you're asking in your second question.

Pentatonic scales eliminate avoid notes and give different sounds.

-C_Fluff
i'll try to elaborate on my second question. here goes...

the key of C:

A B C D E F G

the key of C minor:

A B C D E-flat F G

so, if playing the ionian mode in the key of C, would it's natural minor be the phrygian mode played 1 fret down from it's position? or would it be the phrygian mode played 1 step down from the ionian mode?

... i've just gone cross-eyed
Quote by sethp
I understand major scales and modes (ie: ionian dorian vegetarian... etc, etc). at least in my own way. so in the key of C (just to make things easy) moving the ionian mode up 1 whole step will render the key of D... am i right so far?

so, if the flat-3rd is the natural minor, then would phrigian, played 1 fret down be the natural minor of ionian?

and what's the point of pentatonic scales? aren't they just regular scales but just skipping every other whole note?

umm.. im no good with modes or whatever but changing a mode just changes at what note the mode thingy starts in.. eg for C:
cdefgab would be the dorian mode or whatever it is.. (major)
defgabc would be the next mode up which is minor.. for me i remember it like the chords in a key (C) :
I - C D E F G A B [major]
ii - D E F G A B C [minor]
iii - E F G A B C D [minor]
IV - F G A B C D E [major]
V - G A B C D E F [major]
vi - A B C D E F G [minor]
vii*- B C D E F G A [diminished]

hopefully thats clear i highlighted the 1 3 and 5 of each mode thing;
use the 1,3 and 5 of each mode thing to find each different chord in the key of C.
Now i'm not too sure about the fancy names for each mode or whatever but the first, 4th and 5th of the key are major the rest are minor except for last which is diminished. they're for chords, but the basic structure applies to modes i think
Now about the pentatonic, I only recently been learning this, but i think you can play the pentatonic scale, any note of it and it will fit into a song, so if you played major C pentatonic when the song was playing any chord from the list above it would work or else you play the pentatonic that fits into each chord or something. im probably wrong at least once here, so you should search the forums for whatever they have better advice!
anyway i hope it helps somehow. catcha!

edit: dont grill me im probably wrong, where im wrong just correct me
- tommy
Last edited by tombomb22 at Jun 24, 2006,