Nothing.

For those who say otherwise, a little while back Corduroy did a test comparing a bolt on with a set neck on the same guitar, then recorded something, and compared the results. The sustain was the same.

The most common reason people think set necks have more sustain is because they're comparing a les paul to a strat. A les paul is made of mahogany, and is heavier.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
And Les Pauls can hold a note for days.

In my experience Bolt on necks have better fret access
Yea, it's all about the quality of the joint. Compare a Godin LG to a Epi LP or a Gibson LP and the Godin will outlast them, even though it's a bolt on.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
right, because i'm thinking about ordering a kit from warmoth of a mahogany rhoads V. i originally wanted it to be set neck, but if there is no difference whatsoever, then i'll just go bolt on.
also, you mentioned weight. i have an LP right now and i LOVE it, i'm just looking for a different shape. since my LP is made of mahogany, i wanted this one to be too, but is the sustain going to be affected by the fact its not an LP?

thanks
Quote by jpetrucci5655
right, because i'm thinking about ordering a kit from warmoth of a mahogany rhoads V. i originally wanted it to be set neck, but if there is no difference whatsoever, then i'll just go bolt on.
also, you mentioned weight. i have an LP right now and i LOVE it, i'm just looking for a different shape. since my LP is made of mahogany, i wanted this one to be too, but is the sustain going to be affected by the fact its not an LP?

thanks

It will be a bit, but you'll probably get over it.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
also, i'm looking for a 24 fret guitar, since i only have 22 on my LP. on the site, it says its possible to make th neck a 24 fretter, but you lose you neck pickup. i sure as hell don't want to lose my neck pup, so i was wondering if there was any way around this.
Quote by jpetrucci5655
also, i'm looking for a 24 fret guitar, since i only have 22 on my LP. on the site, it says its possible to make th neck a 24 fretter, but you lose you neck pickup. i sure as hell don't want to lose my neck pup, so i was wondering if there was any way around this.

If you're getting a pre-routed body, then no.

If you're routing it yourself, you can have the pickup a bit closer to the bridge.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by xifr
If you're getting a pre-routed body, then no.

If you're routing it yourself, you can have the pickup a bit closer to the bridge.

you mean like, if i order the body to be a single humbucker, and then route the extra humbucker myself?
would it change a lot in the sound that it's closer to the bridge?
Quote by jpetrucci5655
you mean like, if i order the body to be a single humbucker, and then route the extra humbucker myself?
would it change a lot in the sound that it's closer to the bridge?

Yes.
The sound would change a little, but not too much. I doubt you'll notice it, as you'll have nothing to compare it to.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
I've got an RG, and my thru-neck feels a lot more friendly at the high-frets than boltons of similar models...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.