I'm buying a new amp to replace my cruddy Kustom KGA. I'm down a Marshall 401 DSL or a Laney LC30. I've tried both and can't make up my mind. My main guitar is a Rickenbacker 330 so come on people, vote for which one you think I should get. If anyone knows how to put a poll on here can they do that as well? Cheers.
My votes on the DSL40
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
That Laney is a hell of an amp. Darker than the Marshall, plenty of overdrive, great amp. Go Laney, especially if that's an LC30II.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
The Marshall Rocks! When I go to guitar shops I usually go play through the TSL. I dont find the Laney amps to have anything special about them and they arent that great (my opinion).
Marshall all the way. any marshall that isn't mg or avt owns
My Gear:

Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender 48th Street Strat
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Martin Koa Acoustic
Some crappy unnamed bass
What sounds are you looking for?

And have you tried your Rick with them both?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Laney all the way, great quality, especially for the price.
Am I the only one that thinks that the DSL and TSL series are really overrated?
Quote by Anty 7
Am I the only one that thinks that the DSL and TSL series are really overrated?

ditto. I don't like em (haven't tried the dsl head though, it's meant to be better, but the combo isn't anything to write home about).

I haven't tried the lc though, it may suck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the comments. I've tried out both amps and there's not much between them. I'm trying to figure out whether or not the Marshall is worth the extra £50 over and above the cost of the Laney. Quite honestly, the best amp I have tried is a Fender Hot Rod Deville but I can't afford one at the minute and I REALLY need an amp now as my current piece of crap is shot. I've also tried an Orange Rockerverb and although it's a good amp, it's hugely overpriced.

I'm not sure the Marshall brings out the best in the Ric 330 but it seems a bit more versatile than the Laney. I only spent about 20 minutes on each amp so maybe I need more try-out time.

Keep the opinions coming!!
I havn't tried an LC30 but apparently Laney admitted problems to it and build VC30. Ive tried the VC which sounds great but not enough dist... I also tried a JCM 2000 combo, not sure if it was DSL or TSL but i cant remember the sound...
Im also torn between choosing like you are...
Quote by lmsava
Cheers for the comments. I've tried out both amps and there's not much between them. I'm trying to figure out whether or not the Marshall is worth the extra £50 over and above the cost of the Laney. Quite honestly, the best amp I have tried is a Fender Hot Rod Deville but I can't afford one at the minute and I REALLY need an amp now as my current piece of crap is shot. I've also tried an Orange Rockerverb and although it's a good amp, it's hugely overpriced.

I'm not sure the Marshall brings out the best in the Ric 330 but it seems a bit more versatile than the Laney. I only spent about 20 minutes on each amp so maybe I need more try-out time.

Keep the opinions coming!!

Hmm, if you loved the Deville, why not get a Hot Rod Deluxe? Same amp, but lower wattage and only 1 12' speaker, try one out, it'll probably do wonders for your Rick.
But...you'll need an overdrive pedal or 2 for gain.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
DSL. i've noticed it takes a fair bit of EQing though. just play around with it.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Maybe go for a Laney VC combo and an overdrive pedal. I believe it's more like the Hot Rod than the LC is. I.e. better cleans (anyone back this up?) and less gain. But with an OD/booster you can boost the gain on the amp for any of your higher gain needs.

Plus they've got some great deals on the VC combos on GAK atm: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=laney+vc&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range And you could spend the money you save on a nice overdrive. Try it out and maybe compare it head to head with the LC.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
hows the RIC? what genres can it do?how bout some pics?
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by SamDking
Maybe go for a Laney VC combo and an overdrive pedal. I believe it's more like the Hot Rod than the LC is. I.e. better cleans (anyone back this up?) and less gain. But with an OD/booster you can boost the gain on the amp for any of your higher gain needs.

Plus they've got some great deals on the VC combos on GAK atm: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=laney+vc&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range And you could spend the money you save on a nice overdrive. Try it out and maybe compare it head to head with the LC.

nah, I tried them recently (cranked too) and the lc is more like a fender, while the vc is more, er... not like the hotrod.

I vastly preferred the vc. I didn't really like the lc at all. Now, to be fair, that's because I can already get fendery cleans on my current amp, but the lc started to fart out at higher volumes (like really, really badly!) and just generally didn't sound good at high volumes. Rattled and stuff. Basically sounded like it was about to fall apart.

The vc had a very slight farting at max volume- it has (going by spec anyway) the same speaker as the lc, so that would suggest that the vc combo is constructed a lot better. I'd say with a speaker change, it'd be fine...

oh, and sorry for the bump. I've been away for a week.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I'm not a huge Marshall fan (at least, not DSL's and TSL's), but I'd say that the DSL40 is the better of the 2.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
^ aye, probably. and it pains me to say it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?