I know at least one person reading this has a little stress-ball, GripMaster, finger-weight-type thingy laying around in their immediate area right now. What I want to know is which one really, really (without a doubt), works? I actually have a few stress balls that I use for my right hand (I'm a right-handed guitarist by the way), and I think they work pretty well. The thing is, I can't find a good exercise tool for my left hand other than a couple jazz scales I'm not-so-familiar with.

I bought a GripMaster thing from a shop around here for around $12, and I've never felt so ripped off in my entire life, but maybe I'm not using it correctly?

And on the other hand, I keep seeing these "finger weights" in the Musician's Friend magazine, which look like 3-5 gram weights that go on each of the fretting fingers to help with speed (which is one of my main problems).

I just want to know if anyone else has one, or a different type of, finger exercise technique (besides scales), that would work pretty good for helping fret speed. I can do anything you throw at me, as long as it's not faster than "Master of Puppets"...

EDIT:
In case you don't know what I'm talking about-

Here's the GripMaster:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gripmaster-Exercise-Tool?sku=429070

Here's the finger-weights (which I for some reason can't find on Musician's Friend):

http://www.guitarmusician.com/guitarmusn/finger-weights.htm
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Just play your guitar. You'll be working your fingers and your guitar skills.

I've heard bad things about the finger weights, that they can easily lead to injuries.
what tension is yours? if it's extra light(yellow) then you need a heavier tension, like the medium or super tensions.
ive got a stress ball

its really hard so i try squashing it with just my ring, pinky fingers and thumb

its good....ive seen an improvemnt in my pinky since i started 3 weeks ago
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
what tension is yours? if it's extra light(yellow) then you need a heavier tension, like the medium or super tensions.

I think I have the medium tension...it's a red one. But I just don't get any exercise from it. I can move my hands pretty quickly, for example: I type 85 wpm (at the fastest), and I can play some songs that are pretty quick on the fretting hand ("Master of Puppets" entirely), my thing is the legato and 32nd-note crap. I mean, I just really can't go that much faster at all. I might be behaving a little impatiently, but I have been at least every other day since about 6 years ago (mostly covers to learn technique and whatnot), and I think I can do it...I just need a little more speed.

I just really don't see how finger weights wouldn't work. I mean, logically, if you put more weight on your finger and build up your speed to where you're playing perfectly with the weights on, wouldn't your fret/picking hand get a lot faster when you take the weights off? I really want those weights dude...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
speed is about technique, not pressure. so your fingers having more strength wont help. You need go back to basics, work with a metronome and just build it up that way..
^ Strength isn't always about pressure. Speed in a muscle contraction is about how quickly the muscle can exert enough force to do a task. Building up strength, actually a specific type of strength, does help your speed.

I'm not a big fan of the grip master, personally, but the weighted rings seem sound (I've never tried, really).
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
I've heard that the weights are bad, leading to injury and pain, etc.

I started using a stress ball yesterday.

-KR
Quote by Blow Me
I think I have the medium tension...it's a red one. But I just don't get any exercise from it. I can move my hands pretty quickly, for example: I type 85 wpm (at the fastest), and I can play some songs that are pretty quick on the fretting hand ("Master of Puppets" entirely), my thing is the legato and 32nd-note crap. I mean, I just really can't go that much faster at all. I might be behaving a little impatiently, but I have been at least every other day since about 6 years ago (mostly covers to learn technique and whatnot), and I think I can do it...I just need a little more speed.

Half the size of every motion you make.

You'll play with half the effort, and twice the speed.
Ive got one of those wrist excersises. Its like a ball inside a plastic layer and if you spin it and then swirl it around in your wrists it creates a restraint for your wrist to move. Its to do with centre of gravity stuff, but it works like fuck, in that its great. My wrist muscels are bleedin massive now and its really helpful when playing.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.