Hi, I posted last week about getting a new amp and thought I had decided on Blues Junior with a Tubescreamer, but since then I've noticed the Laney Lc15r is a bit cheaper. None of the stores around me stock it, so I was wondering if anybody here could tell me how the two amps compare? I need nice cleans with enough gain to handle GnR.

Is the Laney as loud as the Fender, as I notice it only has an 8" speaker compared to 12" for the Fender? Will it be heard over drums? Will it need a boost for the gain that I want? Is it a decent quality amp?

Thanks!
The speaker really is the main problem with the thing.

Will it be heard over drums: that depends on how loud your drummer is

you probably would want a boost for it to get the gain you want
The vc15 is within my price range....what exactly makes it a better choice? Is is just better overall, or is it more suited to what I want?

What other amps should I consider as well? I looked at Marshall but I can't seem to find one lower than 40w tube, which is more than I need really.

Would it still need an od pedal? What the laney be a better choice for me than the BJ?
Without trying, the VC or the Blues Junior, I'd say the LC15 has enough gain by its self without the need for a pedal, but as stated, the 8" may be a problem if you're wanting to get over drums.

The VC and Blues Junior are both low gain and will need a boost. But are better amps, I think.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Ok thanks a lot everyone, I think I'm probably going to go for the Vc15.

Just one more Q: I know nothing about od pedals, are tubescreamers really the best? How do they compare to the Boss pedals?
I have a Boss OD-3 and although I've only had it a couple of days I'm really happy with it. I've never tried a Tubescreamer, but the Boss is a cheaper alternative to consider that will still give you a nice smooth sound.

You should definitely try both of them before you make a desision. How much do Tubescreamers go for nowadays? Are you talking about an Ibanez TS9?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
TS9s are £79, and the Boss is £55 on GAK. My teacher has a Tubescreamer so I can borrow that and see how I get on. I'll also have a look at the OD3.

People have said that the smaller speaker on the VC15 may make it harder to get over drums, is this not a problem if an extension cabinet is used?
^ The VC15 should be fine for small-medium gigs with an extension cab. The cab will help push more air and project your sound better to make it seem like you're louder.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^^That's great, the VC15 it is then! Thanks a lot for your help!
the vc has two channels as well, just to point out.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they laney lc15 is quite loud, i have never used it past 5 in master OR gain, anyway i dont play in a band, supose its waay diferent. As for comparing fenders and laneys, well i think fenders get better the more $$ (just as marshall) while Laney has always been cheaper but high cuality. I once played a fender tube amp and i didnt liked it at all, it was a 2*12 big amp with NO gain and lots of reverbs (maybe it was the fender twin?) anyway, it was not tasty enough for me. laked some serious balls.

I would chose Laney over Fender anyday when distortion or overdrive are an issue.
Cast in the name of God ye not guilty
^ depends where you are, though- laney will tend to be cheaper in the UK, while fender will tend to be cheaper in the USA, because of where they're manufactured.

EDIT: but yeah, I agree- if you want any more drive than classic rock, you shouldn't really be looking at fenders, in my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yeh that's true. Fender Blues Junior's are a great deal in the US at $400. The conversion rate for $ -> £ would come out something like £230. The actual price in the UK is £100 more than that so your money won't go as far in the UK with Fender. Laney are definitely better value in the UK and is probably your best option.

- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
The Laney's probably best for the money, but the Blues Jr is just amazing, and with an overdrive or 2 will nail what you want.

Also, look at the Laney VC's, with an overdrive with it too.

Oh yea, try them out.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i tryed a blues junior the other day. to be honest i wasn't impressed.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Thanks guys, but I'm really not sure now!

I've since been offered a second hand BJ for £299, which is about the same price as a VC15. I can't seem to find anywhere to try out the Laney, so I would be buying "blind" if I went for that.
Quote by joel_grieve

What weren't you impressed about? What particular aspect?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
dunno. just nothing about it really seemed that great to me. not to justify how much people talk it up....i just wasn't impressed.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well it's just a great clean amp, did you get to crank it? That's when it really shines, and it probably needs to be paired with the right guitar too, but oh well, prob didn't fit your styles.

Oh yea, did you try it with the "Fat" switch on?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
had it sort of loud. but a guy played it cranked when i was there. i played around with the fat switch. i was using a MIM tele. the other guy used a Eric Johnson Strat.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by jp141
Thanks guys, but I'm really not sure now!

I've since been offered a second hand BJ for £299, which is about the same price as a VC15. I can't seem to find anywhere to try out the Laney, so I would be buying "blind" if I went for that.

you can get a BJ new for £325 if you shop around, I don't think you're saving enough there to go with the second hand one. And you can get the VC15 for £250. Both at www.gak.co.uk.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by joel_grieve
dunno. just nothing about it really seemed that great to me. not to justify how much people talk it up....i just wasn't impressed.

I thought it was excellent when I tried it. I just don't want to pay what they charge here, since they're a lot better value in the USA. You can get much better value for money here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by joel_grieve

did you let it warm up? with what guitar?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you can get a BJ new for £325 if you shop around, I don't think you're saving enough there to go with the second hand one. And you can get the VC15 for £250. Both at www.gak.co.uk.

Yeah that's a good point there's no point in going second hand for that! It's gonna be the VC15 I think. I was just wodnering if it is worth saving for the 30w version? I want to be able to use it for band practices and small gigs. Would I need a VC30 or would a VC15 with a ext cab definitely do it?
i tried the BJ with a mim tele. and a guy played thru it after me with a eric johnson strat. maybe it was just old?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by jp141
Yeah that's a good point there's no point in going second hand for that! It's gonna be the VC15 I think. I was just wodnering if it is worth saving for the 30w version? I want to be able to use it for band practices and small gigs. Would I need a VC30 or would a VC15 with a ext cab definitely do it?

There's some great deals on GAK if you choose to go for the VC30. It comes in various different speaker configurations: 1x12, 2x10 and 2x12. The 2x12 I think has been reduced by almost £200, take a look on http://www.gak.co.uk.

Whether to go for the 30w version, well I guess it's down to how much headroom you need. How important is clean to you? If you need to be loud and have a very clean sound go for the 30. If you want a little breakup at more reasonable volumes, go for the 15. With that said, I'm sure you can back off the guitar's volume and get pretty good cleans with the 15 at high volumes.

Try them both out if you can, you might get different sounds from the different speaker configs. The 15 w/ extension will do gigs unmiced, but there will probably be some situations where you'll need to the 30. Like big halls without a PA, or outside. It depends on where you're planning to gig.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
I haven't tried either the 15 or the 30, but I second sam's advice concerning trying them both, etc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?