How do I lower the action on an Ibanez JEM? When I finally get all the strings in tune they're too high, and it's horrible because it affects my playing since it takes that much longer to depress.

Sorry for being ignorant but the only other guitar I owned is my Gibson Explorer Gothic, and to raise/lower action on that all I had to do was turn the dials. And obviously it wasn't a floating tremolo.
With the allan keys you get with it you can turn the bolts that hold the floyd in space so effectively it does the same job as on a tune o matic like an explorer.
Thanks for reading
You've got a JEM and you don't even know how to lower/raise the action?

Anyway, use the allen keys to turn the bolts on each side of the floyd rose, there's 2 of them, obviously one on each side.
Quote by Archaon
You've got a JEM and you don't even know how to lower/raise the action?

Anyway, use the allen keys to turn the bolts on each side of the floyd rose, there's 2 of them, obviously one on each side.

your too much of a n00b to own a guitar like that, please go kill yourself immediatly
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
Quote by Air Guitarist!
your too much of a n00b to own a guitar like that, please go kill yourself immediatly

Yes because I don't know everything technical about a guitar that i've never owned before with a floyd rose that i've never used before, only experiencing a gibson explorer before it makes me incapable of asking a question about it and automatically demeans any worth in my playing or some sort of undisclosed requirement for owning a guitar.

Quote by Air Guitarist!

who the fuck are you? leave here before you hurt yourself.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Air Guitarist!

Someone with the username "Air Guitarist" calling someone else a "n00b"...Wow.

And buddy, this just in, just because you have a more expensive guitar it doesn't mean you're better, dickweed. And I've got a sweet ****ing guitar too (Prestige Ibanez RG), so I'm being pretty modest here. I don't understand how I'm a noob?
Quote by Sweetbabyjezuz
Yes because I don't know everything technical about a guitar that i've never owned before with a floyd rose that i've never used before, only experiencing a gibson explorer before it makes me incapable of asking a question about it and automatically demeans any worth in my playing or some sort of undisclosed requirement for owning a guitar.

lol pwned!!
Hey dude, just out of interest, what Jem do you have? And is it up to scratch?
Thanks for reading
You have a JEM and you don't know anything about string action!? Oh man, Steve Vai will slit your throat in your sleep for getting a cooler guitar than most of us will ever have at noob level.

PS. They're not that great anyway, I tried one earlier today at my local guitar store place thinggy. Its just a wire thin neck, evolution pickups, fancy inlay, and gold trem. Nothing special aside from the fact that Steve Vai uses them. It's just an overpriced Alder RG1570 with a thinner neck and evolution pups IMO.
Incorrect, a JEM neck is thicker than that of a Wizard...it's actually the same as a Wizard II, just called a JEM neck...
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
^Damnit redaxe , beat me to it.

One correction. The 1570 has a prestige, not a wizard.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by redaxe
Incorrect, a JEM neck is thicker than that of a Wizard...it's actually the same as a Wizard II, just called a JEM neck...

It's the same thickness as a Wizard 2, it's a different SHAPE.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Cheesepuff
You have a JEM and you don't know anything about string action!? Oh man, Steve Vai will slit your throat in your sleep for getting a cooler guitar than most of us will ever have at noob level.

PS. They're not that great anyway, I tried one earlier today at my local guitar store place thinggy. Its just a wire thin neck, evolution pickups, fancy inlay, and gold trem. Nothing special aside from the fact that Steve Vai uses them. It's just an overpriced Alder RG1570 with a thinner neck and evolution pups IMO.

can you read? he said that the Jem is the FIRST floyd rose guitar he has used or owned, he dosent know how to set up guitars with floyd roses.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
^ Umm, I think he was being sarcastic towards the remark that Air Guitarist made...
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Hey, you have a Jem. That's not fair cause I don't have one so I'm going to hurl insults at you and make you feel bad!

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
To be honest, JEM's are overrated. They're still amazing guitars, but too expensive for what it's actually worth. Then again, it could be said about any guitar. As the quality increases, you gain less of it per dollar.
Quote by redaxe

nope, jem necks are flatter on the back
For whoever asked it's a JEM7V

Also yeah, edg was right. Since my Gibson had a very easy bridge to change strings I was used to just popping them all off and then slapping on a new set. I had the factory set on for a couple weeks now, but I just recently broke the high E and they're looking pretty crusty so I decided i'd put a new set of strings on.

So I took them all off, and then thought "maybe I should check online about how to change strings on a floyd lol" so I went and saw that the first thing was 1 at a time, not all, damn.
Cmon folks! What happened to all the flaming? You know, if you guys have a problem with the guitar the person has and his/her technical skills he/she has in terms of setting it up, then you can... well, you can't do anything. So shut the fuckity fuck up. Go get a job and don't bitch and complain that your guitar sucks. I don't think the threadstarter should have to say sorry for being ignorant as obviously, it isn't that person who is ignorant.

And to actually contribute to the little peace this thread has left, I'm guessing your action raised when you tuned up because the bridge came up? If so, what happened was you tightened the strings which puts more tension on the springs in the back of the guitar holding the trem lifting the trem, therefore raising the action. If that didn't happen, you just need to take the right size allen key and stick it in the two stud posts on the sides of your trem and lower it to desired height.

I won't go into a detailed explanation on how do fix it properly as it's a common problem and the solution can be found by doing either a quick search on UG or search something on google. Or you can use this site http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Last edited by MetalToTheEnd at Jun 24, 2006,