So, I am in this band and we have been together for a good say 8 months, this is the farthest any of our bands have gone previously and we feel we have a good thing going. But the only problem is Myself (bass) and both our guitarists and the drummer have different wants out of this band, the drummer wants to be fast 16 notes at all time, while we (the guitars and bass) want to go a different direction something more unique and experimental.
He hates it and the problem is he is the only good drummer nearby so we don't want to piss him off plus hes a good friend, but we need to put out foot down on him he has been ruining jam sessions, constantly getting on the guitar when hes supposed to be playing drums and show us a riff that is horrible and twangy, even though we already are in the process of writing a song at the time, its really unbearable. If we put our foot down on him do you think that he will quit? He has never been in a band this successful and there aren't many oppurtunitys around here for bands.
thats a tough situation and there seems like a possibility that he would quit. my advice would be to sit him down and try to compromise. say somethin like "hey bro, i know you wanna play fast **** all the time, but we feel we should change it up a bit sometimes, so how about we play some of that stuff that you want to play, and then we play some stuff that the rest of us want to play."
compromise seems like your best bet here
good luck
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
if he only wants to play fast then he probably isnt that greater drummer. Good drummers appreciate timing and the challenge of fitting in perfectly, and the rhythms and stuff. Kick them out, get a better drummer. Someone reliable. Or sneak some ritalin into your drummers drink before jamming, that'll slow him down and calm him a bit.
Boot the guy.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Why the fvck do all drummers want to play/show you guitar riffs. I had the same problem man. Anyways, a part of being in the band is compromising. So if the guy is doing what HE wants to do, and it isn't what you want to do, the best thing to do is find someone else. If you REALLY hate what he's doing to the drums, just find someone else. You can ask him to cut it back a bit, which I do recommend doing, but honestly, musicians are hard-headed, and they'll be pretty stubborn if they want it done their way. But good luck man.
Oh ho, everyday is an adventure
Tell him to watch some video's of Keith Moon from The Who, he's a great example of a drummer who always made things difficult and interesting on drums even in slow songs. As Def said playing fast isn't the only way to impress people on drums (which is probably what he thinks) so show him some little tricks and other impressive things he can do on the drums to show off instead of playing fast.
About the guitar riff thing, just do what my band do. We run on a strict policy-

1) Only the vocalist writes the lyrics and figures out how to sing them.
2) Only the guitarist and bassist may write riffs and general guitar-type stuff.
3) Only the drummer decides on the drums.
4) The person who thought of the first part decides what the song is going to be like. However, one member may not have more than 2 turns in a row at this.

About the always playing fast thing, the answer, as countless people above me have said, is COMPROMISE. Our drummer bums 6/8 timing, and me and the bassist were really not sure as to whether or not it would work, but we compromised with our drummer and that song is now one of our favourite songs to play live, and it's become one of our best-loved songs too.

Try it out. It's better than one of you quitting.
Quote by Aidy Damage
About the guitar riff thing, just do what my band do. We run on a strict policy-

1) Only the vocalist writes the lyrics and figures out how to sing them.
2) Only the guitarist and bassist may write riffs and general guitar-type stuff.
3) Only the drummer decides on the drums.
4) The person who thought of the first part decides what the song is going to be like. However, one member may not have more than 2 turns in a row at this.

About the always playing fast thing, the answer, as countless people above me have said, is COMPROMISE. Our drummer bums 6/8 timing, and me and the bassist were really not sure as to whether or not it would work, but we compromised with our drummer and that song is now one of our favourite songs to play live, and it's become one of our best-loved songs too.

Try it out. It's better than one of you quitting.

thats stupid, you say only the drummer decides on drums, so hes just going to play those "fast 16th note" rhythms them isnt he.
Quote by Shorrock
thats stupid, you say only the drummer decides on drums, so hes just going to play those "fast 16th note" rhythms them isnt he.

Rule 4? If the guitarist thinks of a slow chord progression rule 4 says that he can decide it not to have a fast tempo. Maybe I should have explained a bit more.