hey

i am, among other things, the "proud" owner of a squier P bass.

I know i should feel all sentimental about it, as its the first bass i bought, and the one i learned on etc etc, but, let's face it, it's a bit naff...

so, i thought i'd cut it up and customise it a bit, just for laffs, and to see if i can't get it sounding a tad better

the problem being... i've never customised anything before, so I don't know where to start

should i perhaps change the pickups, or maybe a new neck, or the electrics??

any suggestions??

(yeh, i know this is in the wrong forum, I just thought among bass players, that there was more chance of someone having tried it before on this bass)
cheers
Put a set of EMG's on it. I baet those would sound awesome along with the one's already on it. But that's about as far I would go with it. If you did anymore to it the cost would be to high and you could just buy a new Bass for the same amount.
Customizing can get expensive pretty quick. Like FbSa said, for the money you could very well end up spending, you could save a little longer and keep your Squier and buy a new, much better bass.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I felt the same way about my Squire... here's what I've done with mine.

I've put a Badass II bridge on it. At the moment, the electric circuits are gone. I plan on spending just over £100 on new pups and new wiring.

The scratchplate is one I knock up from an old sign I found lying by my flat. I intend on "finding" a metal road sign, with reflective material and get that properly shaped.

If and when I get that done, I wouldn't mind putting some Hipshot tuners.

I want to use this as my primary backup bass. My headless 5-string Hohner plays well, but the pickups are slightly too noisy when the preamp is turned on. My Fender Standard Precision's neck is warped, so doesn't play comfortable. I promise I wouldn't buy a new bass until after uni (I had really bad GAS at one point), so that's why I'm forking out some cash on my Squire.
my friend has a squier P bass. hes learning, but hes customized it.

he has:

a fender P black pick gaurd
fender P pickups
strap locks
knobs

not much but its pretty good for a squier
my friend has a squier P bass. hes learning, but hes customized it.

he has:

a fender P black pick gaurd
fender P pickups
strap locks
knobs

not much but its pretty good for a squier

heres a pic:

i love my squier bass...got it for only 20 bucks, ill have pics up soon but i completely gum wrappered the whole bass then laquered it on, and i had an a7x logo lazer engraved into the pickguard...pretty sweet