I'm a beginner, so I currently play a squire, and I'm OK with that for now. It's a beginners guitar, however, i eventually want to get a new one and i was looking a the Gibson SG series guitars. Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the current models, and why they vary in price so much?
i have a special faded SG- you can get them for around 700. i would reccomend it over any other SG. the biggest reason why the prices vary so much is the paint. mine is a brown wood finished color and for a painted version of the same guitar its 950. Then the version above that (the standard) it has trapezoid inlays and pickup covers- the electronics are the same though. All of the versions that are more expensive than that just have nicer inlays or pickups or paint or have Angus Young's name on it... SGs are great guitars- but if you get one get a gibson not epiphone (you will regret it if you get epiphone)
Ok, thanks for the info. That being said, i like the paint of the goddess, i understand that's a girls guitar, but is there any other major difference?
Quote by THE JEWISH AFRO
i have a special faded SG- you can get them for around 700. i would reccomend it over any other SG. the biggest reason why the prices vary so much is the paint. mine is a brown wood finished color and for a painted version of the same guitar its 950. Then the version above that (the standard) it has trapezoid inlays and pickup covers- the electronics are the same though. All of the versions that are more expensive than that just have nicer inlays or pickups or paint or have Angus Young's name on it... SGs are great guitars- but if you get one get a gibson not epiphone (you will regret it if you get epiphone)

Sorry but you are very wrong. The difference between the faded SG and the standard is much more than the paint ,that would be ridiculous to reduce the price of a guitar by 700$ JUST because of the paint job. the standard has a Thinner neck, better electronics , it's an overall better guitar. And by a long shot too. The faded is an OK guitar but doesn't come close to the standard.
Quote by Dyne
Sorry but you are very wrong. The difference between the faded SG and the standard is much more than the paint ,that would be ridiculous to reduce the price of a guitar by 700$ JUST because of the paint job. the standard has a Thinner neck, better electronics , it's an overall better guitar. And by a long shot too. The faded is an OK guitar but doesn't come close to the standard.

you forgot to mention the inlays
Quote by THE JEWISH AFRO
you will regret it if you get epiphone

Acually, you can get good epiphones. Granted, the quality control isn't quite up the gibson standard, but they are fantastic guitars for the price. I love my G400. It rarely goes out of tune, and sounds great 99.9% of the time. But be careful. make sure you try it out, if your going to buy one, as they can be a bit hit and miss.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
What amp do you have at the moment?
It'll be a lot better of an idea to buy a better amp first, or good guitar and good amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by AndyPandy
Acually, you can get good epiphones. Granted, the quality control isn't quite up the gibson standard, but they are fantastic guitars for the price. I love my G400. It rarely goes out of tune, and sounds great 99.9% of the time. But be careful. make sure you try it out, if your going to buy one, as they can be a bit hit and miss.

i said that because i remember my squier- i wouldve done anything for it to be changed into a fender- and i am sure he would feel the same about an epiphone- gibsons are not even that much more expensive and they gain value rather than epiphones which lose value over time
Quote by Dyne

thats how it is with the gibson es-335 versus the es-335 satin. the only difference is the tuners, paintjob, and neck binding for a price of about 800 dollars
Quote by THE JEWISH AFRO
you forgot to mention the inlays
I didn't mention the inlays becasue I was only giving examples of what made the standard a better guitar, the nicer inlays makes the standard prettyier but has nothing to do with why it is a nicer sounding playing guitar.
Quote by R_H_C_P
What amp do you have at the moment?
It'll be a lot better of an idea to buy a better amp first, or good guitar and good amp.

LOL, as i said before i am a beginner. So i have a fender 10watt amp. Nothing special
Quote by Asses
LOL, as i said before i am a beginner. So i have a fender 10watt amp. Nothing special

I'm pretty sure playing an SG Standard through that Amp is Illegal.
Quote by Asses

You shouldn't be buying a SG when you're a beginner IMO, and it would be a waste of $700 to play it through that ****ty amp. You need a good amp to even do it justice.
Quote by The way to hate
You shouldn't be buying a SG when you're a beginner IMO, and it would be a waste of $700 to play it through that ****ty amp. You need a good amp to even do it justice.

i know, im not buying it this week, month or year even. Im just getting info and opnions, that's all
Ok, first of all, Epiphones are great guitars. The Epiphone Elitist series either matches or EXCEEDS Gibsons in many cases. They're also half the price. Not just "a little" less. They aren't a low end company like Squier is to Fender. Epiphone was it's own company. BEFORE Gibson. Les Paul himself invented the Les Paul guitar in an Epiphone factory. He approves Epiphone making Les Pauls and supports them in it. It's not some "knock off" or "cheapo" brand.

As for them gaining/losing value, who cares? He's looking for a guitar to PLAY not be some collector's item meant only for resale later when it gains value. That's retarded.

Now, on topic, you need a new amp first. I recommend that you look for a good 50w amp. That is plenty of volume for anything you would want to do. A good solid state 50w amp will run you about $375. A GREAT Tube amp will be about $600 or so. Tube amps sound much better than solid states, so they cost more. However, a tube amp will last you forever, while a solid state will last only until you get a tube amp.

For the guitar, I recommend that you skip the Gibson. They're overpriced because of the name. You can easily find a guitar just as good or better for half the price. Especially with the SG Specials and Faded Specials.

I recommend that you look into these guitars. They aren't all the exact SG Shape, but they have the same type of styling.

Epiphone Elitist SG-$580, Equal to a Gibson SG Standard.
Washburn WI64DL-$420, Great sounding guitar. Easily better than Gibson SG Specials and Faded Specials.
Washburn Damen-~$800?, This is a new Washburn-It's USA Custom shop, so it will be better than any non custom shop Gibson SG.

Those three are great guitars. Look them up and see if you can try them out. Also start lookign for a new amp. Just a new amp will make your Squier sound much better. Especially if you get a really good amp.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99

Now, on topic, you need a new amp first. I recommend that you look for a good 50w amp. That is plenty of volume for anything you would want to do. A good solid state 50w amp will run you about $375. A GREAT Tube amp will be about $600 or so. Tube amps sound much better than solid states, so they cost more. However, a tube amp will last you forever, while a solid state will last only until you get a tube amp.

First time I see you recommending a tube amp
BTW where the heck did you find an elitist SG for $500?!?!
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
First time I see you recommending a tube amp
BTW where the heck did you find an elitist SG for $500?!?!

Hm. Really? Because I recommend them to anyone who isn't stuck to a $300 or less budget. Maybe you're just being a bit to nitpicky about me owning an MG?

I've heard that Guitar Center sells Elitist SG's for $580. And, judging by the prices of other Elitists, that sounds accurate.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Hm. Really? Because I recommend them to anyone who isn't stuck to a $300 or less budget. Maybe you're just being a bit to nitpicky about me owning an MG?

Yes... Guess I misjudged you

I've heard that Guitar Center sells Elitist SG's for $580. And, judging by the prices of other Elitists, that sounds accurate.

I'm begging my parents to take me to GC (long walk and too lazy), and it actually sounds awkward for me (Elitist LP's go for under a grand on ebay )
? the epiphone elitist sg doesent have only has one of those nut things to atatch ur strap with
Quote by Brendan1993
the elitist sg only has 1 of those nut things for atatching ur strap to !?!

No. It has two. Just like all other SG's. The second is on the back near where the neck is set into the body.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I don't see why everyone dislikes the faded SG Specials' so much. It doesn't matter if they are a little less guitar than a standard or even an epiphone elitist. I got mine for $595 and as far as I'm concerned, it's a Gibson that will gain value and it's a damned good guitar for the money.
Pero la cosa que me gusta mas es panochita,
Quote by Wandering_Ronin
I don't see why everyone dislikes the faded SG Specials' so much. It doesn't matter if they are a little less guitar than a standard or even an epiphone elitist. I got mine for $595 and as far as I'm concerned, it's a Gibson that will gain value and it's a damned good guitar for the money.

I disagree. I find the SG Specials/Faded Specials to be overly mediocre. They just don't have the sound you'd expect from an $800 guitar (not everyone can get a deal on them).

The ones that I've tried though have all been finished nicely, which is surprsing. It's usually the lower-end Gibsons that slip the most with quality control. Yet, the SG Specials and Faded Specials I've tried haven't had any severly noticeable flaws other than the lacking sound. I would highly recommend them if they were in the $300-$400 range, but at twice that, they just aren't worth the price.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
No, it's normal. Many guitars use strap buttons in the same spot. It's quite common.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
because my school has an ibanez like that exept the 2 points (top and bottom of the neck)r the same length and the strap is on the end of the top point like most guitars but the point is so short that the weight of the neck makes it point down towards the ground so you have to hold it up with ur hand making it an awkward guitar to play

with the epiphone elitist sg do the same?? because i like that guitar and could be my next 1 sum day.
AWESOME INFO, that's what i was looking for. Thanks to everyone who posted here.
Whatever. I like my SG Special and I guess that I did get a good deal on the price.
Pero la cosa que me gusta mas es panochita,
^Yes you did Wandering Ronin-You got a really good deal on it. And, if it sounds good to you, that's what counts.

Brendan-Sometimes SG's can be neck heavy, but it's not always. Even if a guitar is neck heavy it can usually be fixed by using a leather guitar strap. I wouldn't expect an Elitist SG to be neck heavy though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar