I have an Epi LP Standard Plus. I love the guitar and since im getting better and Im starting to play gigs with my band now I was planning to buy a Gibson Les Paul. Im sawing up. So yesterday I did a gig with my band. I played the whole hour or so with the LP cuz its the only guitar I have. Ive had it for a bout a year and I play standing up more than wsitting down and only yesterday I noticed how ****ing heavy this guitar is and the Gibson is heavier. By the end of the show my shoulder was numb and Im a tall dude. Will I get used to this? Could it be the strap? Im now reconsiderin getting a Gibson LP. I was thinking an SG cuz its lighter. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advanced
come on, don't be a wuss.

EDIT: but yea, if you really want the guitar get a different strap, a wider one, I prefer leather (like 3" wide), or get a padded strap.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
Last edited by ibanezkam at Jun 24, 2006,
Try getting a wider strap, that will help a little with the weight. As for the SG, it won't sound the same as the Paul, but it is still an excellent guitar.
the lesser known of the 4
zakk wylde doesent only use those thick ass straps out of flaming retardation there good for somthing
I agree, they can be really heavy but its something you have to put up with.

SG's are really light and would save you a bit of cash.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
^ have you ever played a strat? ^
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by fronkpies
I agree, they can be really heavy but its something you have to put up with.

SG's are really light and would save you a bit of cash.

How would the sound compare to a LP?
Quote by twistedsister
How would the sound compare to a LP?

I dont know how to explain it so ill just say in a way where you probally will get it...Compare AC/DC to Guns N' Roses (incase your a dumbass Angus young uses an SG and Slash uses a Les Paul)...
les paul pwns sg's in sound, and dont be a pussy, it only 10 pounds, work out, practice with it more
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
No offence but being tall doesn't have anything to do with weight of a guitar - I'm 6"4" and I still find LPs heavy for a guitar. You can either get a padded strap or you can wear an extra shirt, or three, or you can build some muscles up to be stronger and take more to cut circulation off.

The LP is roughly 8.5 pounds of dead weight just being focused on a single area - just counter that by padding.
i got the studio (gibson) and its heavy but man its not a big deal..... my shoulder never got numb or anything. get used to it, if it doesnt effect your playing it shouldnt be a huge deal.
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
my bass weighs about 13. A kid in my band has a LP, it's pretty light personally.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong