yes yes I know another new U.G member!!!
hey maybe i'm older than the lot of you guys at 32 to try to start pcking up the wood again but it's something i would really love to ge to grips with
so any help at all to keep me going would be greatly recieved

I really do want this so i mean it ,any tips at all !!!
I've been looking through the Steal this video links ,and he really knows his stuff

I've owned a Yamaha RGX for about 7 years now and I've just dabbled so i know the basics but just need the big push so any feed back

love to hear from any of ya!!!
whats the best way to build up speed on the fret hand??
Hey there. I'm not quite sure how to build it up. I guess just practise songs. Start with slower ones, then get faster and faster. And learn scales and when you're improvising on them try and get faster each time.
Hope that helped.
Feel loved: Click here!

Joint President of The White Stripes club! PM Me or Jack_White455 to join this great club!

Ecky thump!
Do the chromatics.
--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---5-4-3-2---------------------
----------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------5-4-3-2----------
------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------5-4-3-2
--------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------
----------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up and down the neck, with a metronome. That will help your strenght, speed, and accuracy (don't know how it's written, but you learn to hit the strings right.)

Sorry if my english is bad.

Start slow, at 40 bps, and practise all you are doing slow. Then speed will come with time.
Quote by Iron_Beast
Do the chromatics.
--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---5-4-3-2---------------------
----------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------5-4-3-2----------
------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------5-4-3-2
--------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------
----------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Up and down the neck, with a metronome. That will help your strenght, speed, and accuracy (don't know how it's written, but you learn to hit the strings right.)

Start slow, at 40 bps, and practise all you are doing slow. Then speed will come with time.

I cannot agree more Also, make a $30 investment into Guitar World. ****load of tips and info.
Quote by tenchi

Btw, it says do not aim at other humans for a reason.

potatowned!

Quote by Metal Sucks
I love all punk.

It's not gay like metal.

PM to learn about a kick-ass forum
Quote by Iron_Beast
Do the chromatics.

For that record, those aren't chromatic scales.
Quote by Iron_Beast
Do the chromatics.

that isn't a chromatic scale, it omits the open notes. but if you want to build up speed then just practice playing whatever it is you wish to play.

one of my picking hand exercises is just picking straight quavers for 3 minutes, doing nothing with the fret hand. about 4 weeks after starting that, i can play faster for longer.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Ah there's another question then !!!
Picks which grade and also the best way of getting use to it
I find i'm more acurate without a pick but i don't want to get into the habbit of not using one and being limited
Any advice again
practice.

3 months ago i was a terrible picker, but i realised i couldn't go very far without learning how to do it. i kind of slowly eased myself onto picking, first by chords and then moving down to individual notes. you will probably find that if you take that route, your downstroking will be much much stronger than your upstroking. again, practice is the answer. now i'm a normal picker who can still fingerpick as well! win win!
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Hey, congrats on picking up the guitar again!
As far as picking is concered, for your own sake, PLEASE become comfortable with both up and down picking while you're still getting used to everything!
If you stick with just one, it will eventually come around and kick you in the teeth =P
FREE THINKERS ARE DANGEROUS
Quote by Iron_Beast
Do the chromatics.

Slow at 40 beats per second . Well, yeah just practice different finger exericses on the internet at about 40 bpm and build up 5 tempo when you see no tension, and repeat until at desired tempo or cant do it anymore. Tension aint ever okay. also i reccomend speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina and correct principles for guitar. You can get both books here. www.guitarprinciples.com
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
Quote by SlashandClapton
Slow at 40 beats per second . Well, yeah just practice different finger exericses on the internet at about 40 bpm and build up 5 tempo when you see no tension, and repeat until at desired tempo or cant do it anymore. Tension aint ever okay. also i reccomend speed mechanics for lead guitar by troy stetina and correct principles for guitar. You can get both books here. www.guitarprinciples.com

Oh, I meant minute
Quote by walk_down
As far as picking is concered, for your own sake, PLEASE become comfortable with both up and down picking while you're still getting used to everything!
If you stick with just one, it will eventually come around and kick you in the teeth =P

Real good advice there. I didn't learn to alternate pick (thats what it's called) at all until just recently, and since i'm so used to downstrokes it's alot harder than it ever should be