i went to the store today to supposedly 'buy something' when really i just felt like jamming on gear i didn't own.
i think we've all done that though

so yeah, i tried a Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier, Marshall DSL100, Peavy Valveking, and a Peavey XXX head.

to start...
Marshall DSL100: this one had a pretty warm gain channel in my opinion. it didn't have AS much gain as i thought it did but it was very usable and you wouldn't come short by any means, unless you are KoRn or something. The clean was somewhat vintage sounding you could say, well i dont know if thats what you'd call it but it was nothing like the Mesa's and i consider that modern. i dont think i got the volume anywhere near cranked enough, so if i did im sure it would have helped all aspects of the sound. i think this amp would sound nice with a good ol' boost pedal.

Mesa Single Rectifier (50 watts): the clean sounded actually pretty good using the middle pickup but a bit too undefined with the neck and somewhat weak on the bridge, but still usable to my ears. note that im not a HUGE clean guy.umm.. the distortion channel on this thing is what its all about. i though it had loads more gain than the marshall even at low volumes. not a problem with feedback, but then again im not one to stand one foot away from the amp. so yeah.. you get the idea. it also seemed a bit clear than the dual rectifier i played a month ago but it still had the mesa vibe going for it.

Peavey XXX: the clean channel was very very very thin & cold to me, and i couldn't seem to get that dialed out, therefore i moved on to the gain. let me tell you, i thought both distortion channels sucked, they seemed buzzy/too crispy, NOT smooth at all no matter what pickup.

Peavey VK: i actually liked this amp, for the price i don't think it can be beat (yeah, no **** if you spend $5000 on an amp it'll sound better) the clean suprised me and you could also get a nice crunch. with the gain almost dimed it seemed a little liquidy if you get that. i dont know the word for it. haha
overall, i liked the sounds i was getting out of this beast over the XXX.
Ibanez RG1570, all stock as far as i know. it was a store guitar not mine, and it wasn't previously owned so i assume it was completly stock for that reason.

and yeah, i figured it might help someone out in choosing.
:P
nice.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I thought the XXX was supposed to be great for metal
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Me too aznrocker. but to me, the gain sucked TOTAL Butt.

it wasn't just lacking something, it was lacking lots

very disapointing

EDIT: maybe the combos are better, but i doubt it
I thought the XXX was a very meh amp. I tried one that DIDN'T have a busted tube for once and even though it had lots of gain, it wasn't anything special. I'm kinda leaning towards a DSL50 or JCM900 Dual Reverb/High Gain at this point.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
while that is your opinion, and i do respect it.

you're off your rocket. honestly. the clean, while it may not be amazing, it compares my blues jr. might not be as great, but it's certianly a good clean. the crunch, i've now, after 5 months, found a great eq for and i couldn't be happier. it still has too much gain, but it gets pretty much what i want. and the ultra channel pwnd you. it's awesome. so full and agressive. what eq were you using, because it really sounds like you didn't even try to unleash the beast.

btw it has to be on loose speaker dampening to get good tone. tight sucks.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Yeah, I forgot the mention, I REALLY liked the crunch on the XXX. Not exactly Marshall, but it sounded pretty good.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
well we all have different tastes, what i may like you may not.

and yeah Derek, i tried both and it didn't suit me one bit.
i coudl understand how someone MIGHT like the crunch, but as ive said, not me. lol
Quote by Ambulance X
I thought the XXX was a very meh amp. I tried one that DIDN'T have a busted tube for once and even though it had lots of gain, it wasn't anything special. I'm kinda leaning towards a DSL50 or JCM900 Dual Reverb/High Gain at this point.

id like to try a JCM900
Quote by spuime4c1es
well we all have different tastes, what i may like you may not.

and yeah Derek, i tried both and it didn't suit me one bit.
i coudl understand how someone MIGHT like the crunch, but as ive said, not me. lol

like i said, it really depends on the eq. scooped it sounds terrible, you gotta push the mids up to really get it going. loose speaker damning is very important, and also not having the bass to high. it'll get a bit mushy if you push it past 3 o'clock.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09

btw it has to be on loose speaker dampening to get good tone. tight sucks.

I hope you're talking about cleans, right?

also, how did you (threadstarter) eq the peavey for metal...?
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

^ no, everything.

tight sounds really mushy, like wana be marshall. if anything it was better for the cleans. loose let the amp open up a little bit and come at your face full force.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^ no, everything.

tight sounds really mushy, like wana be marshall. if anything it was better for the cleans. loose let the amp open up a little bit and come at your face full force.

Maybe someone could make a footswitch for loose and tight. Any takers?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X

Maybe the amp doesnt need to be switched off tight.
Quote by spuime4c1es
id like to try a JCM900

Get one. They pwn. I have one. Maybe tomorow Ill get better clips up of it in the clips thread. But for now..refer to my two short samples of my JCM900.

Quote by Ambulance X

..........*ponders*..........

Quote by TheFluffy
Maybe the amp doesnt need to be switched off tight.

I thought it was loose
Anyhow, Derek said the tight was good for cleans the loose was good for everything else, so obviously there is some use for it.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
meh I always use tight on mine. I think loose sounds hollow and bleh
I'm not racist.

Quote by SpIkE27Z
I hope you're talking about cleans, right?

also, how did you (threadstarter) eq the peavey for metal...?

im assuming you mean the XXX since thats what we are talking about. but i started by just boosted up the mids. that sounded very very meh. to me, so i scooped them, not because i like the sound but just to see if it made a difference, and it sounded worse. lol
so i went back to swaure one with everything on 5 and just fiddled around slightly with each knob.

i couldn't get a good sound at all
well what type of metal sound were you looking for?

it nails bright thrashy tones, but if you want uber-dark deathmetal, no.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

don't scoop them.

put them like, facing to the left, a tiny more up. put the treble the mirror of that. bass like, 7 ish.

that's what I use. as you turn it up louder you have to turn down the treble a bit
I'm not racist.

Or get an EQ (31 band would be nice). Keep all the sliders on zero *in the middle*, then EQ your amp how you want/like it...then assuming its really bright sounding still....push down some of the high mids a little and it should make it darker sounding.
well derek i really wasn't going for a dark sound at all :S

it was more along the lines of Kalmah and children of bodom but with more gain.

kalmah is effing bright if you ask me.
but yeah.. i mean it had the 'brightness' you could say. but the tone was blah to me.
to crisp, brittle, and buzzy as i said earlier.