I have had a guitar teacher for a few months after teaching myself and at first we started learning theory. All he would teach me is scales and immediately expect me to be creative and play lead over a rhythm piece he had and I never really understood so later we moved on to learning songs and breaking them down by what key they are in and what scales are used.

Now i'm sort of stuck for never learning more theory because i've moved on from playing other's songs to trying to write my own. Although I do know the penatonics and the major scale.(I don't know how extensive the major scale is, I was just taught the box pattern for the G maj scale, first position I think its called.)

I looked up scales here on uG and came up with this tab:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_scales/essential_scales_tab.htm

It has 15 scales and 5 "types" or ways to play them.

I don't really understand how the Cmaj scale can have 5 types and be the same scale. Type 1 is the only one that begins with "C".

Can someone explain how there can be 5 types for 1 scale in 1 key?

Also, Which scales and/or types work well with a Chord Progression 'C, G, F, G'?

thanks for reading that HUGE message. lol
Well in response to your first question, they are all in teh Key of C, just in different positions. Por ejemplo, in type 1 the root note is on the sixth string. For type 2, it looks like the root is on the 4th string, 10th fret. Type 4 has the root on the 5th string, 3rd fret, and so on for the rest of them. All the notes in each scale, however, correspond to C major.
Quote by Stevethegreat
Well in response to your first question, they are all in teh Key of C, just in different positions. Por ejemplo, in type 1 the root note is on the sixth string. For type 2, it looks like the root is on the 4th string, 10th fret. Type 4 has the root on the 5th string, 3rd fret, and so on for the rest of them. All the notes in each scale, however, correspond to C major.

ok thanks that helps the first question.

Quote by zeppelin68
theres a thread for theory you know? and the electric guitar forum isnt it

oh. well sorry. next time i have a theory question ill put it there.
Quote by zeppelin68
theres a thread for theory you know? and the electric guitar forum isnt it

Guess what, Theory is On topic and suited to GUITAR............ Electric guitar in this case...

Why dont you try and help instead of making your self seem like a noob.... (darn,too late)
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by theusedsk8er
ok thanks that helps the first question.

oh. well sorry. next time i have a theory question ill put it there.

Dont sweat it... That guys a total ass bandit, and noob to guitar.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Oh yeah your second question... um it looks likes its in th key of C, so if ya wanna keep it simple you can play in C Major or A Minor (the relative minor to C).