im making a practice schedule and i need a little help. ikf someone could answer some people could answer a couple of my questions, that would be cool.

1. what are some technique exercises i could use?

2. what are things i need to practice in a practice schedule?

3. how long should a practice be?

4. any other tips you can give me? exercises? anything else?
what skill level are you? when I first started playing guitar I thoguht I could go on forever without learning how to alternate pick lol so if you're a begginer practice that and save yourself some time
it depends what you like to play and how often you play.
personally, i find a song i like then use that as a warm up,
normally 1 that stretches ur fingers.
it varies from person to person. i mostly write my own riffs to be fair
an then i practise using them.
alternatively, get sum scales on the go?
=MAY THE HAND OF GOD STRIKE THEM DOWN=

+Rip Dimebag+

Gear:

Ibanez RG170
Epiphone SG Standard G400
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Boss V-WAH
Digitech Whammy
Spider Line 6 II 30W
i dont have much time but about #3... people will tell you 12 hrs a day, but as wise old BB King said, "15 a day of true practice is much better than 4 hours a day of ****in around" - dont quote him on that it was something like that. i agree, once you learn how to practice correctly, you dont need to spend that much time.
For #1. - practise moving up and down the neck chromatically. its a very basic excersize but it can get you faster and it will built co-ordination between your left and right hands.
- learn some arpeggios and play them clean and smooth.
- PLAY WITH A METRONOME
For #2. -Start by warming up your fingers. after that its always good to work on learning a song that is challenging but not to challenging. learning some theory during a practise session helps also.

For #3. -Practise as long as you can but REMEMBER! practising with 110% effort for 10 minutes is better than hitting random notes and spinning in a chair for 3 hours. practise as long as you feel but dont sit there and stare at a clock and be like ''woohoo 3 hours! im soo good now''

For #4. - search the forums and you can leech off threads to get more tips on exersizes.

and #5. have fun! dont think of guitar as a job. the more work you put in, the better you'll be and therefore you'll have more fun with your instrument.
Quote by thesublime
genious, silverstringz

Quote by Invader Jim
I admire you, SiLvEr_StRiNgZ. I have a short, VERY short fuse and would have instantly killed nearly everyone in the room, but you, on the other hand, did good. Have a cookie and a gold star.
1. what are some technique exercises i could use?

scales, arpeggios, chromatic runs (different fingerings),

2. what are things i need to practice in a practice schedule?

the above, some techniques such as hammers, pull-offs, trills, chords, picking

3. how long should a practice be?

however long you can spare

4. any other tips you can give me? exercises? anything else?

use a metronome, use a diary to mark your progress. write you tempos in there, scales you've learnt and know, what to work on next time etc..

good luck
for 3 practice for as long as you can, as long as practice doesnt get boring (in that case vary your practice schedule) and as long as it doesnt strain your muscles. although "feeling the pain" may be rewarding in the short term, enjoy RSI or tendonitis when you get older
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Alright, I'm not the thread starter, but I've got the same thing in mind.
So, the schedule you guys are explaining should look somewhat like this?

Scales, Arpeggios, Chromatic Runs (15-20 mins)
Hammer-ons, Pull-offs, Trills (Whats a trill?) (15-20 mins)
Chords (15-20 mins, guessing longer if rhythm)
Picking (How exactly do you go about practicing picking? Is alternate picking really that hard for some people?)
The times they are a changin'.....
a trill is two notes played in rapid succession. keep one fingetr anchored on the lower note and use the another finger to hammer.

picking practice can be incorporated into scales and stuff. but you may want to try economy picking or sweeping remember..
Quote by SiLvEr_StRiNgZ
practise as long as you feel but dont sit there and stare at a clock and be like ''woohoo 3 hours! im soo good now''

ROFL!!!!