I live in a hicktown and theres nothing to do in the summer so i figured i could learn theory.Ive been playing for over a year now and im tired of learning other peoples songs and i want to make my own for my band. I think i should learn stuff like scales and keys and stuff. could someone tell what i should learn and it would be nice if it was availble on the internet but i could go to L&M and pick up a book if i have to. I play classic rock, blues, metal if that helps.

My guitars
-Ibanez GRX40
-Norman B50 (acoustic)
My Amps
-Ibanez 10 watt
-Vox valvetronix AD100VT
My pedals
-Boss SD-1
^Don't be a dickhead, asshole. Anyways, try Cyberfret.com, they have boat loads of great stuff on music theory and other junk.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by Rino159
I live in a hicktown and theres nothing to do in the summer so i figured i could learn theory.Ive been playing for over a year now and im tired of learning other peoples songs and i want to make my own for my band. I think i should learn stuff like scales and keys and stuff. could someone tell what i should learn and it would be nice if it was availble on the internet but i could go to L&M and pick up a book if i have to. I play classic rock, blues, metal if that helps.

I need to do the same thing...and earn mucho $$$
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Quote by Rino159

what hicktown u live in, cant be anyworse than the one i am in hahah
Slowhand 03/23/07
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club

PM clapton-floyd to join
My theory class covered these topics in this order(or how I remeber it): Naming notes in the bass and treble clef, major/minor/harmonic minor/melodic minor scales, key signatures, building and naming chords, inversions of chords, identifing non harmonic tones, labeling intervals between the bass to alto, filling in the melody above a cantus firmus, filling in the tenor and alto parts with naming the chords and cadence, and finally harmonic progression(writing a four part song over a givin bass line while labeling intervals, chords, and the cadence.) That's basically what I learned this year.
Current Rig
Guitar: Jackson DK-1
Amp: Peavey JSX 212
Effects: Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, ISP Decimator,
MXR 10 Band EQ
I used the caged system to learn my fretboard. It uses 5 chord shapes so for each chord shape you can learn about the triads, inversions, pentatonics, and modes all linked by octave points. You'll gain a good understanding of the music structures as well as your fretboard.

Mind you, there's more so take advantage of what you can find.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by SGStrummer61
^Don't be a dickhead, asshole. Anyways, try Cyberfret.com, they have boat loads of great stuff on music theory and other junk.

Hey dickhead, the guys right. He needs to do a search, like an hour ago i decided i wanted to brush up on my theory,and guess what.

i didnt make a new thread, cuz i know theres hundreds already. I searched.

Dont have such thin skin.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
^Maybe he wanted to see where we took him since Google can't bring **** up and there aren't many good things on here for music theory.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
try doin scales with a bunch of different keys, make your own riffs, and go on from there.
if you want to make your own stuff, you need to know all your scales. so yeah......
DO SCALES!!!!!
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Actually music is best played by ear and no need for theory. How many of us can actually do that? Though I know theory I still try to play by ear. What you can do is play with your guitar by ears for the summer and start simply by playing one string like the A or D string. Noodle around on it and make up some riffs. I played a lot of "Electric Funeral" on one string. Then play with two strings, then three. Maybe four if you dare.

Actually, you'd want to learn about intervals. Since you know some chords you can play arpeggios and lead on the chords. Do all that stuff with the I - IV - V progressions like C, F, and G.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+