i was wondering if there's a kind of bridge that gives you the flexibility of a floyd rose (i.e. being able to go down OR up with the bar) with actually being a floyd rose. because i'm not worried about the intonation, so i don't want locking tuners and whatnot. i just want a very flexible trem. and if you know of one, would it fit on a strat?
I will fuc
Kahlers are locking tuners that are like Floyd Roses, but I know bugger all about their tone or anything.

If you get a roller or graphite nut + locking tuners, then set up your tremolo so that it's floating then you should get a fairly felxible, in tune tremolo. Might not be flexible enough for you though...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Kahler seems like your best bet. I'd get a locking nut though. Because otherwise, your start WILL go out of tune real fast.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
I put a Fender American Strat floating bridge on my Yamaha, with locking tuners. Not quite as stable as a Floyd Rose when it comes to tuning, but it sure does trem well.
Tremol-No! Just use a Wilkinson or Hipshot bridge and put a Tremol-No in there, if need be. Then just rout a little cavity behind the bridge, so you can go up.

Aside from that. . . why don't you want a FR?
Kahler, schaller
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by MastaBassist10
I put a Fender American Strat floating bridge on my Yamaha, with locking tuners. Not quite as stable as a Floyd Rose when it comes to tuning, but it sure does trem well.

the fender locking tuners are great