ok so im customizing my old guitar and when i took off the back cover to take out the bridge there was a wire. and i have no idea what it was for. the bridge is a tremolo/strat style bridge. and the wire was going from the volume or tone knob ( forget which one exactly) through the back of the guitar and was attached to the small metal peice that's attached to the body in the back that holds the springs. so if u get wut im sayin.. then wut hell is it for? thnx
Its the ground wire.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
yep its a ground wire
it reduces buzzing from the pickups and stuff
u can cut it but ur guitar might buzz when hooked up 2 an amp
my rig
Squire strat affinity series, chrome red
Fender jazz bass, sunburst
custom made bass, natural (forget who made it)
Roland jazz chorus 50
Boss DS-1 distortion pedal
and I only use purple dunlop tortex picks
you can cut it or desolder it off, just make sure that when you are wiring it back up you make the wiring the exact same as it is before.

The wire you are talking about is the central ground point for strat style guitars, it is important that you rewire that back up in the same postitions, or else your pickups can die down on you, also the pot you are talking about is the Volume Pot..