I am thinking about replacing the russian pre-amp tubes with the high-gain jj 12AX7 tubes in my Peavey Valveking 112 Combo. Has anyone done the same? Was there any difference in quality of sound or amount of gain? I love to play metal. As of now, I'm using a overdrive pedal to push the amp close to metal territory. I want to see if I can do it without using the pedal.

thanks

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
I did! He said that eventhough it wont make a day & night difference, nevertheless it will sound better and that the high-gain tubes are 10% more gain than the regular JJ 12AX7 tubes.

I'm just looking for someone's first-hand experience after the replacement.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Sorry to invade, but is the valve king a good amp? Im thinking bout getting the stack version?? I play metal like LoG, A7X ect??
Quote by False_God
Sorry to invade, but is the valve king a good amp? Im thinking bout getting the stack version?? I play metal like LoG, A7X ect??

For what your playing, it's not that great. The valveking is better at classic rock/blues than metalcore or metal. It can do it with an OD but you can get better metal sounds for that price. The Valveking's distortion is over exagerated. PM me if you want more details on it's sound.

To the threadstarter: I haven't tried JJ pre-amp tubes, but I did swap the tubes on my Valveking for Telefunkens and it does sound a lot better. Don't go expecting a lot of gain from the JJs, but they will brighten up the sound, give a bit more gain, make the tubes saturate at lower volumes. You'd be better off getting power tubes or getting an EQ to beef up the sound a bit. Hope this helps.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Thanks Chimaira ! yes, I am using a equalizer to get a good sound. The valveking is not a metal amp. Too bad I found that out after I bought it. But I got a very good deal on it and so right now I'm experimenting with it. I have a Digitech Tube overdrive in the front and that does push the amp close to metal. but nothing like death metal or black metal type gain. But anyway, ths is my first all-tube amp and I'm lovin it !!

The valveking series is "Made in China" amps in contrast to the other Peavey amps which are made in US ( I think ). So, there's a lot of post-preamp hum. Peavey answers all my questions promptly but however many times I ask the question about the hum, they never respond !!
Pretty soon I will get

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by dirtyboots
aren't teles low gain pres?

No, they're very high-gain, dark sounding, with a lot of mids.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
what is the best pedal to push a valveking into metal territory?
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
If I were to buy a Valveking, and had a MXR KFK 10-Band EQ with a MXR ZW-44, and retubed it with hi gain tubes (sorry, I don't know what they're called, i'm new to tube amps) will I be able to get a metallica/slayer/megadeth-type distortion?
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music