Looking for a new guitar to replace my warlock ... yea so I've been looking at the

1) epiphone les paul custom black
Link

2) epiphone les paul black beauty
Link

3) Agile al-3500
Link

I mostly play classic rock/ metal kind of stuff and will probly put emg 81/85 in what ever guitar i get so let me know your opinions. thanks
I know everyone likes to ride the Agile bandwagon so I will let somebody else comment on those, all I will say is that I would never buy a guitar that I never got to test out first.
The Epiphone LP's are really something you need to try out. I for one was almost set on an Epiphone LP and I was quickly turned away when I tried one out at my guitar shop. The neck is very glossy and the fretboard is just alike. Very difficult to play technical things, for rhythm it's top notch, but if you plan on doing much lead work, I'd look at something else.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Maybe take a look at ESPs LP-style guitars. I like Kirk Hammett's signature, just for the whammy bar on it. Personal preference though.

But of those three, I'd say the Black Beauty. Better aesthetics, Gibson/Epi make pretty good guitars, can't say about how they play though. I like the body shape of those.
Last edited by Pulling Teeth at Jun 24, 2006,
why would you like a complete guitar, just for the whammy bar?...a whammy bar is like 10 bucks new...do you mean the trem or something?...and i would go with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top...i hear very good things about it AND its a solid mahogony body/nmeck, not a mahogony/alder mix

GOD****INGDAMNEDIT: it says that both those epi's are solid mahogony bodies, but on the site doesnt it say they are...uhhh...mahogony/alder bodies?...if they ARE solid mahogony, i would go with the custom cause it pwns.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Last edited by The_Hell_Patrol at Jun 24, 2006,
I tried out the custom today at guitar center , took a while to get used to the neck but liked it after playing for a while. Really liked the sound of it, I wont really be playing much lead, how does the custom compare to the bb?
by "site" i meant the epiphone site, not the musician friend one
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

I personally like the Custom over the Black Beauty, but I think with Epiphone it is all personal preference. Like I said, the neck is something that takes some getting used to. It was very apparent to me that the neck was not cutting it when I tried a few LP's out, so I have decided not to buy one at this time. The LP is however great for a rhythm player. The tone is awesome, can't deny that. Try playing some leads on it, like something below the 18th fret or so, you will notice very quickly how difficult it is until you get used to it. The top of the body that connects to the neck is very large on LP's, which makes them very difficult to play notes on the lower frets.

Hope this helps

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
Is there a noticable difference b/n the all mahogony and the mahogony/alder bodies.
Also what are some ibanez guitars in that price range?
I agree with Mike The cutaways on LPs kind of get in the way when you're trying to play anything past the 18th fretI prefer SGs
Quote by Mike1109
I personally like the Custom over the Black Beauty, but I think with Epiphone it is all personal preference. Like I said, the neck is something that takes some getting used to. It was very apparent to me that the neck was not cutting it when I tried a few LP's out, so I have decided not to buy one at this time. The LP is however great for a rhythm player. The tone is awesome, can't deny that. Try playing some leads on it, like something below the 18th fret or so, you will notice very quickly how difficult it is until you get used to it. The top of the body that connects to the neck is very large on LP's, which makes them very difficult to play notes on the lower frets.

Hope this helps

yes it is a matter of taste and junk and all you can do is test it out for yourself...but are the LP necks taht fat?...i have an Epi G-400, and i can play faster on it thatn i can on an Ibanez with a wizard neck...so its all about preference...i like relatively fat necks, (LP necks, SG necks, Strat necks)...and on all of these i can play faster than i can on any Ibanez...which i find wierd....but im also just not use to the thinness...once you get used to a fat neck though, you wont notice it.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Yeah, man just try out as many guitars that you can in your price range, it couldn't hurt. Just because a certain guitar hasn't always appealed to you doesn't mean it you won't like it once you try it. When you go into your guitar store just make sure the salesperson knows you are a serious buyer. Ask to play one of the guitars and at least try to play something impressive. Have an opening riff or solo prepared to let him know you mean business. Then eventually he'll say "if you need any help with anything else just let me know" and that's when you enjoy the liberty of trying out as many guitars as possible. Go to town. There is nothing worse than buying a guitar that everyone has told you great things about and then a month later you go into your guitar store to try some guitars and you find something that you like better but were afraid to try it out.

Bottom line here is that if you're willing to invest that much money into buying a guitar you should also invest as much time in trying out everything in your price range. Just my 2 cents.

Hope this was helpful

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:

Follow me on Twitter!
I really like the feel of the guitar and i dont really play that high on the fret board so this guitar fits me good. But which style? How does the black beauty sound compared to the Custom? By the way thanks for the advise, i know i dont want to go spend $600 on something i dont like.
Last edited by zman258 at Jun 24, 2006,
Would someone care to comment on an Agile? I'm also considering them, but I don't know if the 3500 is worth the 100 or so less dollars than just going for a regular epiphone. This will definitely be my rhythm axe, and I plan to replace the pick-ups in whatever guitar I get with Gibsons. So, knowing this LP Vs. Agile? I'm not a huge fan of the LP necks, what are the Agiles like?
Originally posted by EatsP1es
the majority of people on these forums are arseholes
might as well get the agile as its made out of an all mahogany body rather than the epi which have a piece of alder in it