i was reading about dave grohl's guitar rigs and it said that he has one guitar in drop a tuning.how could this be possible?wouldnt the string not be tight enough to produce a pitch?my low e string on my acoustic with 13 guage strings gets almost too loose to get a decent pitch in drop c.

any advice is appreciated.
Quote by wilty00
Twist and Shout makes me violent.
super-heavy gauge strings. Baritone strings, or maybe even bass strings?
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Quote by icatchdinosaurs
i was reading about dave grohl's guitar rigs and it said that he has one guitar in drop a tuning.how could this be possible?wouldnt the string not be tight enough to produce a pitch?my low e string on my acoustic with 13 guage strings gets almost too loose to get a decent pitch in drop c.

any advice is appreciated.

Umm...David Grohl...Drop A?
I can do drop A on my electric using .12's. I've never tried on an acoustic, so I don't know what difference that would make, but it certainly is possible without a baritone guitar on electric if you have the right guage. Zakk Wylde had a lesson where his guitar was in drop-A, I use drop-B more often though (standard tuning, just dropping the E string).
It's possible...I could go to Drop G# while still sounding decent with my guitar once (with the proper setup) seriously I suggest you get a baritone if you do that, otherwise when you play fast while distorted, it sounds really muddy. And btw, accoustics are not made to be tuned that low, the lowest I went is Drop D. But yeah..get a baritone or a 7 stringer if you want to tune that low.
im guessing grohl used it for the song "stacked actors" from the album there is nothing left to lose.

it was possible with 6th string on my cyclone (i used a standard .42 gauge string). its possible, but it goes out of tune easily, and buzzes a lot.
Fender Mex Cyclone HH
**ZOOM G7.1ut**
Yamaha COD-100 Overdrive
Big Muff Pi USA
Danelectro Chorus
Behringer EQ
Dinosaur Heavy Metal

member #4 of the "can't we forget about punk, emo, metal, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK?" group
i jsut tuned my strat down to A E B D F A and it doesnt sound to bad just gotta tune it well
Squier Stratocaster
B.C. Rich Beast
Conrad 40110 (12-string Acoustic)
15 Watt Squier Amp
12 Watt B.C. Rich Amp
PODxt Live
I've tuned it down to B before (not drop b I mena like all strings 2 1/2 steps down) with my .10s (my string gauge of choice) for this amon amarth song and it sounded pretty much fine but I can understand how a thicker gauge would make it easier.
where were you reading his rig?
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic

I think some people here are confused. The only string that is being detuned is the low E. The tuning from low to high goes AADGBE. I can do that on my Ibanez GAX30, as well as my brother's Squier Strat which had .009s on it. You've want a heavy gauge of strings, because the pitch isn't right if you press on the string too hard. The only song to my knowledge he uses it on is Stacked Actors.
Last edited by BloodOnMyHands at Jul 3, 2006,
drop A. pah, real men tune to AEAD
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
didn't Taproot do an acoustic song in drop A tuning?

i dont believe so.
Room For Error

Shows
6.30.05: 3 Doors Down, Staind, Breaking Benjamin
9.22.05: Disturbed, Ill Nino, 10 Years
4.1.06: Sevendust, Nonpoint
10.2.06: Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Mars Volta
11.21.06: Disturbed, Stone Sour, Flyleaf, Nonpoint
I'm pretty sure drop A is the 6th string tuned down 7 frets and the rest of the strings tuned down 5.
I don't get that whole dropping that low... just sounds like crap for the most part (one of my friends plays in G... G!).

Sceptile has Drop A on the head though. All the strings go down.

I can go to B with a pack of ernie-ball .09s
i have 8 guage on my guitar nad i can drop b (prison sex) easily so surely 10 guages would easily drop to a
Is it literally drop-A (AADGBe) or Drop-D down 2 1/2 steps (AEADF#B (Methinks that's right))? Either way: very heavy strings. The death metal band Nile often plays in Drop-A (the second way) on six-strings, and I don't think that they're baritones.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I don't get it, if you're going to dedicate a whole guitar to a drop-A tuning, why not just get a 7-string and just drop the B-string down a step?
Quote by guywithguitar
I don't get it, if you're going to dedicate a whole guitar to a drop-A tuning, why not just get a 7-string and just drop the B-string down a step?

because 7 strings cost more, and me modding my guitar to fit with AEADGB was pretty much free? plus, I play bass more, so I'd rather spend money on basses
Slipknot uses drop A for recording
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
It's possible.
a 7 string maybe.
Or baritone.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
yeah i'm pretty sure all of slipknots stuff is in Drop B, but drop A is possible you just have to make sure your intonation and everything is setup for drop A tuning (i let a techie do all that stuff i prefer not to jack w/ it) and i would recommend VERY thick strings so that they're not flapping in the wind and they're still holding a pitch instead of sounding like bassy
Quote by markazord
i have 8 guage on my guitar nad i can drop b (prison sex) easily so surely 10 guages would easily drop to a

not necessarily, i had a guitar with 12's down to A and B standard, and it was flappy as hell.
It's definitely possible. You need really heavy gauge strings, and you need to adjust the truss rod so the neck is warped. That way the strings will be higher off the neck. You also need to adjust the action at the bridge to raise the strings even higher. The point is, you don't need a baritone guitar.
drop a is piss.

just drop to barfitone tuning on a set of 'not even slinkys' i think theyre 12-52's, then drop the b down, Nile use this as standard, and korn use it occasionly too i think.

i use a fairly short necked guitar though so maybe that helps, whatever feels gravy for you, 13's might be worth investing in if your planning on staying low. I use my 12's for CGCGCE and BEADF#B
Member #4 of the Black Tooth Grin Dimebag Memorial Club. Pm Narmi to join.
#112 Member of the "Linkin Park Sucks" club. PM Whstripesrox to join.
Staind plays ADADGB, and it sounds great lol, but mike mushok plays Baritone guitars.. thats why it doesnt sound like Craaappp
Actually the drop A tuning Dave Grohl uses is on a song called Stacked Actors and its only the bottom string that is dropped so the guitar is tuned AADGBE
Nile play in drop A as do mastodon i can make it with my twelves ony my electric with relative ease
\m/ >_< \m/

\m/ Laceration \m/

Quote by CSguitarvocal
I wish a thousand Lex Steele rapes upon you...

Quote by shawnson
Nuthin' like 12,000 inches of negro penis in the bum to set your musical taste right.