My bro is looking for an interesting effect pedal to spice up electric violin sound (guitar effect pedals work for the violin) We already have a wah pedal and he finds it is a bit too overwhelming... makes it sound weird because it is so powerful. Distortion sounds ok if it is very very light... So does anyone have any suggestions?

Something to make it sound cooler but not a drastic change... if that's possible.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
flanger
damn junky/hippy
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
the boss whammy pedal would be sweet
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

some guy today was all like, " ahah dude likez OMG you wanna see ma HUGE SAUSAGGE??? likez ZOMG its tEH biggest EVER! " And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
well nothing i guess just play with a regular and eccept the wah or you could desine your own wah but this is just my opion but ive been here'in alot about violins with wahwah pedals lately so maybe you could find somebody who sell pedals just for violins
Chorus
Delay??
Overdrive (light gain)
Harmonizer or Whammy
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well, a friend of mine put her violin through my Pod. The tremolo sounded cool, as did they slow attack, but the flanger was the best. Distortion pedals sound too screechy, and harmonizors/octave-up pedals sound horrible, that's how you hurt someone, but modulation effects always sound cool.
use a delay modulater from line 6, the hook it up to like 2 different phasers preferably Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter and EVH Phaser from MXR, then hook that up to some light distortion, after that hook it up to a octave pedal, then lastly hook it up to a flanger. and ta-da! you have the coolest violin ever!
Unburnzing consists of 1 simple step:Unburnzing

Quote by yawn
Nice user name
Love live metal

Quote by J0NNYBRAV0
ive seen these before. one guy sold 2 air guitars, for $2 each or something. people are retarded, what can i say.
you could try an auto wah pedal set on light, Less to do, less overwhelming,
Last edited by Spade1 at Jun 25, 2006,
You might as well try banging the violin with a drumstick like that guy from Sonic Youth
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
simple volume pedal might sound interesting...swell effects and such.
Hi, I'm Peter
was watching raise your voice (dont ask why just had to since it was at band camp) and it seemed like a girl had a zakk wah connected to a mega distortion (judging by colour)
A chorus would sound immense with an electric violin.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Envelope filters might be pretty neat, no idea how they would react with a violin since they're dependenant on your pick attack on guitar but I assume you'd get some neat stuff going on depending on your dynamics
And I think a flanger or a phaser would work rather well to add some general spaceyness to the sound.

go listen to some Jean Luc Ponty
Quote by seljer
Envelope filters might be pretty neat, no idea how they would react with a violin since they're dependenant on your pick attack on guitar but I assume you'd get some neat stuff going on depending on your dynamics
And I think a flanger or a phaser would work rather well to add some general spaceyness to the sound.

go listen to some Jean Luc Ponty

Was he the guy who played with the Mahavishnu Orchestra? That guy was awesome.
The guy who arranges strings for Arcade Fire, Owen Pallet, has a really good band where he plays violing through a looping pedal. Listen to the song "This Is The Dream Of Win and Regine". With delay the violin would sound awesome.

EDIT: Whoops, the band is called Final Fantasy, forgot to include that
Quote by MastaBassist10
Was he the guy who played with the Mahavishnu Orchestra? That guy was awesome.

on the third album forwards though, not on the first 2
edit: 5th album even, he only joined in 1974

He also played with Frank Zappa (he's got a track somewhere on the "shut up and play your guitar" series)
is the wah on super high settings, because i would imagine that you could turn the intensity of it down.

I would imagine flanging would sound good, delay would be cool, too.

do they make electric violas?
yes they do, and cellos

You can also get 5 string violas with the extra high e string so that you can swap between violin and viola melodies
flanger, phaser, tremelo

acoustic simulator...hoo that was a good one
Reverb, chorus, delay. I'd treat it like I would an acoustic guitar.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
My brother's violin is a 5 string, he can play viola and violin music too.

By the way, Jean-Luc Ponty also played solo, his solo stuff is much better than his playing with Mahavishnu Orchestra in my opinion. Cosmic Messenger in particular is a great album.

Anyways, we tried a bunch of pedals.

phaser - hardly did anything unless turned in high in which it just sounded annoying

chorus - probably the best so far, good sound

octave - interesting but not great since the one we tried was only set to go 1 octave below and no other intervals

overdrive - sounded ok when it was very light

flanger - pretty cool sounding but a little drastic, too powerful, not sure when we'd use it

compression/sustainer - didnt notice hardly any difference
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Last edited by Viruk at Jun 25, 2006,