I just recently bought an electric guitar yesterday, and have really just been screwing around with it for a little. But, my question is if I should learn theory now that I have just started or just learn the basics first, then focus on theory.

this may sound noobish, but could theory help with other instruments also? (I have been playin bass for a little while now).
Yes, theory does help with other instruments because there are things in theory that instruments have in common.

When I started I just got the basics down first but I don't see why you can't learn theory and get the basics down at the same time

Good luck
Theory helps with other instruments. Learning most other instruments is made a lot easier if you can already read music and things like that.

I personally learned the basics before any guitar theory, but I already played piano before guitar, so applying the theory to guitar wasn't that difficult for me; I just didn't bother to do it right away.

A good teacher could probably teach technique and theory at the same time: I know a good teacher who does just that, it works very well for beginners.
It helps, but i never really learned it, kinda just figured it out as i went along and later looked back and said oh, thats what I was doing. Its different for everyone, i place more importance on technique over being able to say what it is, but you should start up on it becasue it will help. (my mindset is still, you can be a genious with theory but if you cant put it to use then its a waste)
Learn the basics first....

You'll understand the theory faster...
If you just started, you won't really be able to apply the theory...
let your learning of theory grow at the same pace as your guitar playing. the great thing about that is you don't have to pay any special attention to it. i personally started playing guitar 3 years ago but started learning music through piano about 9 years ago. it isn't an unbelivably vital part of guitar playing, but try to learn as much of it as possible and your playing will benefit.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
i think as a beginner learning your fretboard and what notes are being played in the chord helps loads. later on, other theory will slip into place if you know these things. try not to think of chords as numbers from tab, try and think of them as notes being played together..

good luck, your journey begins here.
I knew some basic theory (the names of the notes, major and minor scales) before I even picked up a guitar. It helps a lot.
i would say learn the basics on guitar, and also learn the very basics of theory with it. while you start out, learning note names of frets is a good start. then when learning chords, learn the basics how the chords are built. the book i used to start off showed this type of thing, and it helped me a lot. compare that to one of my friends who was learning in college last year who could play decently, but had no idea what he was doing. at the very least i would learn note and chord names as you start, and then learn whatever else as you progress from there.
Learning theory is incredibly important for making songs. I mean, if someone tells you they are playing a song that has chords that go C G D C, you can play the lead to it as soon as you want cause you'll know where those notes are.
The times they are a changin'.....
what are some good starting theory books or chord books? also, any method books that can help me with the basics.

Thanks.
Quote by Hangar 18
what are some good starting theory books or chord books? also, any method books that can help me with the basics.

Thanks.
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
I didn't know **** when I started, and I've been playing for two years now and only really started looking theory about 6months ago.

It was probably a bad thing to do and I realise that now, so don't do it!!!

learn theory as you go along learning the basics.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
I didn't know **** when I started, and I've been playing for two years now and only really started looking theory about 6months ago.

It was probably a bad thing to do and I realise that now, so don't do it!!!

learn theory as you go along learning the basics.

Oops, i've been playing for nearly two years and haven't started learning theory yet.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
^^ I would if I were you man, it'll make everything else you play and stuff make sense.

But don't make it boring, try learning theory but do it in a way that makes it less boring, like learn a scale and then make a solo in that scale to ry and help yourself...and then as you progress into learning modes and chord structure, transposing and stuff...you can try applying all that to writing things until eventually it becomes natural.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.