ok i've recently learned that alternate picking is the way to go. but when i try to play "Slither" by velvet revolver(the part where you hit two strings) i cant seem to get it sound right. my pick gets stuck for a split second which kinda makes it sound off and it also gets a bit tiring. ive practicing it for a couple days now and i dont seem to be improving. any words of advice?
practice it slowly. theres no short cut to alternate picking. no alternate way to do it. just good old fashion slow practice. and it may take a while, more then a couple of days, so be patient.
ive been working on alternate picking for 2 months on and off, ive gone from 80bpm 16ths to 120 bpm 16ths , it is slow and tedious, but well worth it.
Quote by hooblatots
ok i've recently learned that alternate picking is the way to go. but when i try to play "Slither" by velvet revolver(the part where you hit two strings) i cant seem to get it sound right. my pick gets stuck for a split second which kinda makes it sound off and it also gets a bit tiring. ive practicing it for a couple days now and i dont seem to be improving. any words of advice?

When you hit two strings? Are you saying hit two strings at the same time? I don't know if that's what you're trying to say, but alternate picking is a technique where you play one note at a time, not chords.
Quote by Necrofiend
What's the difference alt pick and tremolo pick

Tremolo picking is picking a single note repeatedly in quick sucession.
Quote by hooblatots

Start by separating your down pick & up pick.

Either motion should start 1/2 string spacing away and end up the same way.

Pick in the plane of the strings. If your pick is coming up & away from strings
you should correct it. When the pick remains in the plane, and you have control
to keep it 1/2 string spacing, you're pretty much ready to pick the next note.

If you are relaxed and pick "through" the string, the string will feel "elastic and
rubbery". A "hard and unyielding" feel indicates your body is tensing when the
pick makes contact. Probably, that's at least part of why your "pick gets stuck".

You might think, those are impossible hings to do when playing fast, but they
aren't. As with most stuff, it's a matter of practicing it. When you can do those
basics separately, start combing them into alternate picking.
^^That's some really good advice there. I've been doing okay with picking (so I thought) and this puts things into an even clearer perspective for me. Thanks!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Another thing I've found useful is using a "practice pick".

You can either make these things or buy the Stylus Pick
( http://www.styluspick.com/ ). Basically, they force you to
pick right at the tip of the pick. I've also found that they really
help to promote the correct motion to get your picking in the
plane of the strings.

Here's a picture of one that I made. Basically it gives the same
benefits as the Stylus Pick. I used 1/8" scrap acrylic, a dremel and
sandpaper to make it.

^^that looks like something that would give me PMS.
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Quote by edg
Another thing I've found useful is using a "practice pick".

You've just convinced me.

I've just bought 'The Stylus Pick Kit' - 2 picks and the method book.

It's only $9.95 - so I can't wrong even if it doesn't work for me.

Has it worked wonders for you or is it just something that's helped promote the right motion?
Well, I wouldn't say wonders, but it helps. I use it every now and then when
I think my picking is going off track. The booklet you don't really need. It's not
all that helpful and there's not much to it. I think they just throw it in to encourage
buying 2 picks instead on 1 and calling it a "kit".

I kind of like my own version better as I can control the difficulty. The thing about
the Stylus Pick is the tip rounds out after a while and makes it even harder to use.
The booklet mentions that like its a good thing its supposed to do. I don't know,
it's pretty hard to use at first.

Still, it's a nice little tool that really helps you focus and it leaves no doubt about
how much of the tip you're using.
Now that's a cool idea...I'm going to have to try that.

And while we're on the subject...I'm using a medium sized pick right now, and it feels okay...but I've also got a small 'teardrop' shaped one that is okay now and then. Is pick size just preference, or does the size affect play? (i.e. would a smaller pick help with speed?)
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Quote by Johnljones7443
You've just convinced me.

I've just bought 'The Stylus Pick Kit' - 2 picks and the method book.

It's only $9.95 - so I can't wrong even if it doesn't work for me.

Has it worked wonders for you or is it just something that's helped promote the right motion?

I'd be curious about your impressions when you get it.

I've returned to using mine lately where I might warm up with it for about an hour
or two. One thing I've noticed is I've gotten better at actually using the pick
and when I go back to my usual pick it really seems to help with accuracy.

The booklet says it's a single-string picking tool, but I find it's most effective as
an across string tool. It really seems to help a lot with sweeps.
Quote by hooblatots

If you're talking about the main riff with the power chords, I downpick that and it sounds like Slash does too. Don't get confused, you need to alternate pick, but in powerful crunchy riffs, if you can downpick, do it. There's a huge difference in sound. But for solos, quicker riffs, it flows alot better and you have much more speed if you alternate pick.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
practice picking lessons. the ones without using the left hand. if you are a left handed picker
than do it vice versa
.we are the only people who are left to save the guitar history and rock of good guitar solos will never extinct ,for we are the guitarist who are maintaining the equilibrium
I may not be of much help but I recommend you to downpick the section. Though there are exceptions, downpick two string notes (i don't know what you call them).