Runs (Alt Picking)

NovemberRain123
Paddyo
elvenkindje
mrmo
Megadave_49
metalmaster362

Post the category you would like to be entered in

Any questions or suggestions please let me know, hope to see some good licks, and learn some as well.

Someone can volunteer to use their lick first, post that you volunteer before posting your lick!! Then once I verify that we can begin, thank you.

Ok so heres the idea, Everyone signs up in catergories of different guitar techniques, more then one if you want, one person starts by playing/recording an original lick that fits their catergory, then the others in the catergory have to match the lick (tab will be given) and post the recording, if they can't match they are eliminated. This is similar to the HORSE of Basketball, but you are out in after one failure, I thought this would be fun for bragging rights as well as a good way to learn some cool licks. So sign up and we'll get going, if you sign up make sure you can record, and tab (text preferably).

Rules

The lick you create must be original
The lick you play must fit your catergory
You must play it both full speed and at a slowed speed on your submitted recording
You must create an exact tab to post on the thread (for all viewers, but mainly for openent)
Some form of time measurement, Metronome playing during the recorind, or bpm listed in the tab.
Short and to the point on the lick please.
Volunteer to post your lick first, don't just post, or your going to be booted from the contest, sorry need to keep some order
Everyone in the catergory needs to respond with their matched lick, within two days, or tough luck (some situations may vary]
Last edited by megadave_49 at Jun 30, 2006,
I have good licks for most of the categories. I will trry to post them tommmrow if i remember.
ok just make sure you enter the catergories first, we can't start posting recordings til its filled up a bit
Ill sign up for legato, Tremolo picking, runs and tapping.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

I'd add one more thing to the rules: The licks must be played with clean channel without any effects. It would be also easier to judge them, if people had metronome clicking in the background.

I can join to string skipping, legato and tapping.
String SKipping,Tapping,legato,Runs(alt).

I'm in then?

EDIT: Strat can it be a light overdrive too cause I could get a better sound then my clean tone by rubbing my balls off a wooden post.(I'd prefer full Dist tbh but whatever's cool)

1.Also,How long do we have to "reply" with a successful immitation?

2.Does it have to match their Bpm or can it be faster/slower?
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
Last edited by paddyo at Jun 25, 2006,
^ He was suggesting that, its not a rule. Besides, its way better with Distortion.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by NovemberRain273
^ He was suggesting that, its not a rule.

Ah right cool.

Quote by NovemberRain273
Besides, its way better with Distortion

Not neccessarily. It may well turn into a slop-fest if its all dist. I was just saying for some things I'd prefer it that way...
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
No, not distortion. What's gonna happen is people posting sloppy licks with full distortion and no one can hear if the lick was perfect or not. If you can't play the lick with clean channel, then you can't play them. Post something that's more simple. Besides, this is not a tone contest so, it doesn't matter if your tone's not good.

The most important thing is to hear every note clearly, and that's not possible with distortion.
Quote by Stratwizard
No, not distortion. What's gonna happen is people posting sloppy licks with full distortion and no one can hear if the lick was perfect or not. If you can't play the lick with clean channel, then you can't play them. Post something that's more simple. Besides, this is not a tone contest so, it doesn't matter if your tone's not good.

The most important thing is to hear every note clearly, and that's not possible with distortion.

I can totally see your point and I'll go with either,I dont mind. But if people do it with distortion and it's sloppy,they're out,simple as that. So it's basically-Do it with dist if you want,but there has to be no or VERY little slop. Whadya think?
So, does it have to be the same speed? I'd imagine anyone could play any lick if it didn't have to be a certain speed.
Cough*AnswermyquestionStratwizard!*cough
The one about why we should let people play distortion because they'd be sloppy anyway and they'll be eliminated. Its halfway down the last page with the words "whadya think?" at the end.....Cough...
Ok so i just woke up and read through all this thread got names up, I'm gonna say dist is fine, that said, if its too sloppy everyone in the catergory can vote and decide thus not one person has one say if its too sloppy or not, but hey if you play a clean lick, they have to match it CLEAN, also i like the metrenome idea strat, it the person doesn't have the ability to record with a metrenome at least put the bpm.

also what does everyone think about a suitable time limit to match the recording?
Last edited by megadave_49 at Jun 25, 2006,
Yes licks should be no longer then 10 or so seconds to eliminate a lot of complication, but i'm saying how many days does the person competing have to match it?
tremelo picking now fits under alt picking runs, (they are the same hah) this can be kind of a continuous thing, people can keep joining, but i'll start us off with the legato lick tomorrow after work, and so you don't go out empty handed winners get to be in my sig.
Is it ok if I join arpeggios? I do not sweep them, but they're still arpeggios, right?

Oh, and we should be competing for modship for a week!
Looking good megadave_49, lots of effort put into it. Let's hope it pays off right

Could you add me into the sweeps/arps section too?cheers. Pookoo's looking mighty lonely in there all by himself.

EDIT: I volunteer to post the first tapping lick!
Last edited by paddyo at Jun 26, 2006,
double post whoo.

my tapping lick's got a little sweep part too it and my sweep part's got a little tapping part to it.

Oh noes!

what do i do?!

edit so i don't triple post.

May i put up the first sweeping and legato licks?

and take me out for string skipping, please.
Quote by PooKoo
[Something about Metronome difficulties.]

Pookoo use Guitar Pro with an empty bar set on loop with the metronome turned on in the backround.
Page 1 of 2