I've been playing about a year and half now and I am looking fora new guitar. I'm on a budget of $400.

I've been looking into Epiphone Les Pauls, specifically the Les Paul Standard. Would this bea good buy? Any other recommendations?
It would be a good buy. I have two Epi guitars *custom and 100* and I love them!!! I'm sure there would be a lot of people on the forums that'll tell you it's a great guitar. If not that then maybe a Fender Standard Strat or Tele.
Quote by #1 synth
Brilliant

Quote by Pl3h-B0y
nachocheeez, that was awesome.
Quote by Final
If you live in the U.S., look into buying an Agile les paul instead.

That's the second time someone has recommended one to me. I''ve never seen them in any stores. Do they have them anywhere?
Quote by Final
www.rondomusic.net is the website you'll find them on. Store-wise you'd have to go to NJ. I think that's the state the store is in.

Alright, which guitar of the bunch would you recommend?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
anything above the 3000 series i think it was

alright
Don't get an Epiphone, they're bad wood. I just don't approve of mahogany/alder in a Les Paul. Agiles, on the other hand, ARE all-mahogany.

There's one Epi model worth looking at, the Plain-Top, but it's made in China, so you'll have to be careful and make sure the build quality is alright.
I have an Al-2000 and think it's a great Guitar. The 3000's are nice but the 2000 is still a great copy.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000blkgd.html
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by strangedogs
I have an Al-2000 and think it's a great Guitar. The 3000's are nice but the 2000 is still a great copy.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2000blkgd.html

That is a very nice lookin guitar. But, I'm looking for something a little better than that.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2800unifprofileblk.html

Btw, has anyone ever used an Indiana guitar? I just saw them today and I'm from Indiana so it got me thinking.
Oh yeah I also got offered a Shecter C1 Plus for $350 from my friend. Would that be a better deal?
Quote by Mersky
That is a very nice lookin guitar. But, I'm looking for something a little better than that.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al2800unifprofileblk.html

Btw, has anyone ever used an Indiana guitar? I just saw them today and I'm from Indiana so it got me thinking.

i got an indiana acoustic an played an indiana lp copy, there very cheap an high action an stuff, pretty bad i would recomend the agile also
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
Quote by Air Guitarist!
i got an indiana acoustic an played an indiana lp copy, there very cheap an high action an stuff, pretty bad i would recomend the agile also

K well I'll cross off the Indiana.
About the epi les paul they are right about the mahogany/alder not being good, but I would definately look into the plain top. I wanted one but unfortunately the only one in the guitar shop was a complete dud, flat sound, nothing from the higher frets. However if you find a good one I would take it. The specs on this guitar seems great.

About Agiles I never played one but I read alot of good feedback about the guitar from UG. So that could be something to consider.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
get a fender much better than any mid range epi
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
what music do you play ts? i presume classic rock. do you also have an amp to back the guitar up?
I tried an Epi plain top this weekend and it was a horrid guitar. The shop had 2 of them, and neither sounded all that good. In term of contruction and feel, they're just like the Epi LP standard. But they must have some really cheap Chinese mahogany in these things, because it sounded like it was wrapped in a blanket.

The tone sounded very muffle and dark, and it had horrible sustain past the 12 fret. These were easily the worse Epi Les Pauls I've ever played. I don't know whether I just hit 2 dud or whether this is indicative of the rest of this model, but I wouldn't even consider these guitars as worthy from what I heard. The Standards are much better guitar IMO, although you don't get a Les Paul sound out of alder.

I'll also have to recommend an Agile 3000. If you're looking for a Les Paul, you won't find a better guitar for that amount of money.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jun 26, 2006,
I'm in the same boat as you...looking for my first electric. I was going to go for an Epi LEs Paul...are they really not that good? (I haven't played it yet, I want to make sure I'm at least proficient on acoustic before I do serious shopping).
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Quote by Crunchmeister
I tried an Epi plain top this weekend and it was a horrid guitar. The shop had 2 of them, and neither sounded all that good. In term of contruction and feel, they're just like the Epi LP standard. But they must have some really cheap Chinese mahogany in these things, because it sounded like it was wrapped in a blanket.

The tone sounded very muffle and dark, and it had horrible sustain past the 12 fret. These were easily the worse Epi Les Pauls I've ever played. I don't know whether I just hit 2 dud or whether this is indicative of the rest of this model, but I wouldn't even consider these guitars as worthy from what I heard. The Standards are much better guitar IMO, although you don't get a Les Paul sound out of alder.

I'll also have to recommend an Agile 3000. If you're looking for a Les Paul, you won't find a better guitar for that amount of money.

That's three times I've heard that.

OFFICIAL NOTICE: DO NOT RECOMMEND THE PLAIN-TOP ANYMORE UNTIL WE CAN ALL GO TRY THEM OUT, I HAVE YET TO HEAR A GOOD REVIEW OF THEM.
Right now, I am interested in the Squier Standard Fat Telecaster. It looks relly good, but as of yet I haven't tried one out to see how it sounds. Plus, it costs less than $250 CANADIAN.
O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.

Bell Ringer of Zeppelinism - PM TheHeartbreaker to join
Well if you do look into the Epi LP get a classic over then standard. I think it's a better deal.

The output is better on the pickups anyways..the standard don't push out as much.